• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Q's About Hybridization

Hey guy's I'm newly registered member here, but I've looked around for a while, anyway, I'm looking for some solid information on creating hybrids. I've searched this forum and the internet and only come up with a chart that shows if the seeds will be viable. I guess what I'm after is information about traits that the male will pass on vs the female. Thanks for the help!

to make it quick....

you have plant a (jalapeno for example) and plant B cayenne pepper

if flower of plant A is polenised with the polen of the plant B you will still have a jalapeno on plant A but the seeds in this pepper MIGHT or CAN have some hybrid traits of a jalapeno / cayenne (might not also) so you would have to re plant those seeds from the pepper that has been polenised and grow it to see if you have the new frankenstein (you wont see it on the first pepper only from the seed of the cross polenise pepper)

some people force a cross polenisation. they strip the flower (before it's producing polen) of the polen producing organ and keep the "male" side only and use polen from the other plant on that "male" organ. if polenisation is good it will grow a pepper. they will keep the seeds and start those seeds to find a hydrid (generation f1)
and from those new plant usually you keep the peper you like and reproduce over multiple generation to isolate the trait of the new hybrid.
take about 8 or more generation to have a "stable" variety that will be pretty constant over the future generation.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28932-crosses/page__p__583643__hl__hybrid#entry583643

it's a crap shoot really, and I don't think it has been studied in detail which passes on like in human traits, if at all.. just have to see what comes up, and one of them might have the traits your looking for, but that's why you generally have to grow out a bunch of seeds from the cross to see what comes out of it.

I found this too, but it doesn't really go into the details of what traits will be passed from the male and which from the female into those new F1 seeds.

The f1 plants(first generation cross) will all grow the same more or less and should show dominant features of the the two parent plants. For example a red X yellow chile will be red in the f1 stage.
After the f1 stage, recessive genes will start to show(grandparent, great grandparent etc.) and every plant will be very different. This is where you need to grow tonnes of plants and only select the most desirable ones for next generations seeds, and continue this for 8+ generatuions until stable.

I agree with Potawie and max.

In terms of what the male vs female will pass on, its kind of a crap shoot - it depends on what is the most dominate trait. Red is dominate, I've read (but have no experience) that round is dominate, that hot is dominate... But beyond that, despite having read a fair bit, I don't know about growth habits etc. Pod size is an average between the two IIRC. If you are crossing two already hot varieties, the heat will average out between the two (in F1, f2 will be all over the place.

In the end, your best bet is to make a few crosses, and see how it goes.

Your strain will still be capable of throwing genetic weirdness out there for years. As potawie said, 8+ generations. I think at f8 (and correct me if I'm wrong here) you are at 90+% chance of having what you have been selecting for. There is a chart you can search for that will tell you how many generations...

At that point, its safe to name it I should think. Also if you have plans to market it down the line, keep the parentage under your cap.

F8s should be 99.2% stable.
I wouldn't worry too much about "keep the parentage under your cap" , it would be nearly impossible to duplicate your results other than f1s. Its just like tying to breed two identical children, it just doesn't happen(except twins of course)

I think this is what you are looking for....I have just read the first page of the abstract and it seems to be answering the exact questions you are asking...

http://onlinelibrary...09.02101.x/full

I will finish reading the document and probably comment a little later...

nice find, I didn't even realize anyone was going for this, I figured someone might have, but didn't have high hopes, I'll have to check it out later, genetics stuff is pretty fun when its pertaining to something I'm actually interested in lol

I agree with Potawie and max.

Red is dominate, I've read (but have no experience) that round is dominate, that hot is dominate...

I've read this too and was going to mention it. I think purple foliage is also dominate. I'm also wondering about purple foliage. It's really hard to find any information on pepper heredity. I'm interested in what is passed down and what is dominate and recessive. If anyone knows of a good book on pepper heredity, let me know! I'll be documenting F1s next growing season. We should be able to make predictions about the F1 hybrids if we had enough data about the various characteristics. Beyond F1 is pretty random. However, It would be very helpful to know what is ultra recessive to select for it. It seems that colors like white are extremely rare for instance.

Wow...that paper is really deep and way beyond my knowledge of genetics...

I'll give it a shot. I've been reading about the genetics of chiles in my quest for finding out more information on their characteristics.

another rarity is incomplete dominance... IE where to dominate traits conflict and produce a cool result. AISPES has a pepper that has colored streaks down the side - which is incomplete dominance.

They are open with what the parents are, and I know of another guy whose duplicating their work. Albeit in a much slower fashion. While its not geneticly Identical as certain types of twins can be, in its physical characteristics it is quite identical.

another rarity is incomplete dominance... IE where to dominate traits conflict and produce a cool result. AISPES has a pepper that has colored streaks down the side - which is incomplete dominance.

They are open with what the parents are, and I know of another guy whose duplicating their work. Albeit in a much slower fashion. While its not geneticly Identical as certain types of twins can be, in its physical characteristics it is quite identical.

Interesting. I know what pepper you're talking about. That supports purple being a dominate color. I plan to do the same cross as AISPES started off with (I want to document as many F1 hybrids as I can). I'm going to focus more on a naga morich cross with the Neyde for its bumpy texture. I also see other people's crosses showing variegated purple and green foliage. I'm not sure about how the genetics play into purple and green foliage. The purpling of the foliage comes after the green almost like a tan.

The purpling is sort of an anthocyanin sun-tan, protecting plants from stron UV rays. It seems purple flower annuums are more likely to show this anthocyanin pigment although I'm still in the process of researching and documenting this observation

Back