• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Quantum Badboy T5HO

Hey guys, I've been running this new light for about a week now and it's awesome. I'm waiting to see more results but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this light who has also tried other lighting sources (other T5s, HID, etc). There is a LOT of talk about this one, especially around the pot growing circles and so I figured I'd try to get some opinions on the claims. T5s are moving along faster than all other lights it would seem. This is supposedly one of the first T5s that can fruit plants well.

Here are the claims:

-The T5 "super high output" quantum bulbs outperform other T5 bulbs
-A combination of 6500K/2900K bulbs can give you a spectrum that is amazingly close to sunlight
-6 bulb system produces results equivalent to a 400W HID, 8 bulb system = 600W HID, 12 bulb system = 1000W HID
-Designed to penetrate further into the canopy of plants than other T5 systems
-Runs much cooler than HID lighting and you can move your plants very close to the light

Here are a couple things to check out:

http://forums.cannab...&Number=1614359

Just a note: I'm sure there's going to be a lot of naysayers who are going to say that the claims are ridiculous. I'm not really interested in hearing about that unless you've used the light. I'm curious as to whether others have grown using it and what their results were.

I've been reading these forums for a few months and figured I would finally join the community and contribute.

I picked up a Quantum T5 BadBoy 8 bulb setup on suggestion from a buddy who grows lots of dope. He knew I was into flower power and veggies so it made more sense to go with this rather than deal with the heat issues of an HID setup. Picked one up on ebay for $130 with bulbs ( guy was getting foreclosed on ). Price was so good I jumped on it.

Planted peppers December 23rd and had unbeleiveable success with growth. Plants outgrew the 6 pack cells i had them in in less than 30 days from sprouting and moved them into 4inch squares.

Here they are at 2 months old - a mix of cherry, pepperocini, jalapeno, banana and some sweet bell.

2012-02-20_07-11-44_8.jpg

So do to OCD with anything that grows I found a second light on craigslist from a young kid that had ideas of growing dope and being able to wipe his butt with all the money he made...needless to say we were all young and dumb at one point. Picked up another quantum badboy 8 bulb for $120 with no bulbs, grabbed some new t5's for another $80 and built a 4' X 8' grow table. Just finished it yesterday. Problem is I'm already out of room and need more light......it's a vicious circle.

2012-03-05_18-35-09_754.jpg

My buddy, the dope head who told me about these, was very impressed with what they can produce. And yes, I have flowers on every pepper plant and a few pods already formed.

Very nice plants. I think I got my light around $175 without bulbs. What kind of bulbs were you using in there? The Badboys have some realll nice reflectors and whatnot but I think its their bulbs that are supposed to really do the trick. I'm running half and half of the 6500/2900. Definitely let me know how you do with fruiting indoors before your plant out because that's what I'm really interested in here; how they perform under conditions where a looot of light is needed.

I'm running the Quantum bulbs in on unit, 4 red and 4 blue. I'd have to say that these bulbs are at least a season old with quite a few hours on them as this they were already in the fixture when i got it back in November. The second unit I have 5 blue and 3 red Agro Brite as thats all the grow shop had. They new bulbs are certainlly a bit brighter so I'm planning on changing them out after a season or two depending on budget as they bulbs are 10 bucks a piece.

Here's one plant with a few banana ppods starting to form. I've been feeding them Fox Farm ever other watering or so.

2012-03-06_19-36-46_387.jpg

Hey Mrz1988
I picked up a 8 lamp badboy 2 years ago and have used it in the winter to grow some peppers indoors and love it. I also have a new wave 8 lamp and a tek light 8 lamp and would have to say if i were to buy one again it would be the badboy. It is lighter and will produce less heat. Don't get me wrong if you put one in a tent it puts out more heat than my 400 MH. The so called less heat just means you can get the lamp closer to the plant. Here are the plants i am cutting down slowly i am water stessing so the peppers ripen as i need the room for my seedlings. they have given me peppers all winter. one is a bhut other is a red hab.

DSC_8621.jpg

Well that sells me on the light. Anyone who says T5s can't fruit hasn't used these bulbs! Thanks for the pics.

Nice lookin plants frogman!

I definitely like my T5. I am runnin the Hydrofarm and have nothing but positive feedback for it. I would love to see a side-by-side on the two. But from the photos it definitely can grow some freakin peppers!

I just got a Sun Blaze 4' .. 8 lamp 54w each today, hooked it up and was shocked at the heat it puts out...i was thinking i could have the plants like 4" under it but felt the heat and moved it up another 4"... regardless of that those t5's do put out some light.

I wish i could have found a Quantum Badboy at that price. When i was looking again the cheapest i could find was about $250. I just picked up another T5 HO this year that's 6 bulb 4ft for $190. I've still got the 6 6,400k bulbs in there. Is there much of a difference between the 6400k and the 6500k bulbs? (had to replace my 4 bulb unit because the conducters where the bulb plugs in melted to the plastic locks to the bulb. where they melted locked the bulbs in the on position, that safety lock thingy... totally safe.)

I don't know why you would believe advertising crap, it's crap.

T5 HO lamps are like other HO fluorescent lamps, they make lots of lumens and they burn out early.

I still have not replaced the lamps in the first T5 HO I got. This will be the fifth year I have used it. I use them starting in the fall when I start peppers for my indoor winter grow and use them till spring when I plant out my seedlings. I will replace them this fall in the new wave 8 lamp as after using it for five years you can tell they are not as bright as my other T5s but burn out early? I have not had a problem with that yet:)

Willard I haven't bought into any advertising as I've found first hand how much crap it can be. If the pot growers have high stakes in Quantum's T5s then there has to be something to them and that's where I get my information. Considering how they've been demonstrated to fruit I would say they are worth the money. If a good 600W HPS/MH bulb is running you in the same range as 8 T5s but uses more electricity you can bet on me trying out the T5s.

The best fluorescent lamp will do around 100 lumens/watt
HPS will do 150-200 lumens/watt
MH will do 120-150 lumens/watt

Any fluorescent lamp will use more electricity than any HID lamp to make the same amount of light. This is a subject that is beaten to death on this forum 3 or 4 times per season.

horsea.jpg

I don't know why you would believe advertising crap, it's crap.

T5 HO lamps are like other HO fluorescent lamps, they make lots of lumens and they burn out early.
T5's are not crap and they last a lot longer than MH. In reef tanks most people have to replace MH bulbs every 6-9 months. Where T5 bulbs are replaced every 12-16 months. Have you taken into consideration the heat MH produce. If your running say 400 watt MH in a reef it is necessary to have a chiller running to cool the water off.

At this point in time T5's are the best most economical lighting source for plants or reefs. The only other light that is better are LEDs but they are a little ways away. I would say that for reefs LEDs are better than T5's because I have had both. Now LEDs for growing plants I'm still not convinced that they are better than T5's. But we are just starting to scratch the surface of LEDs and in the near future every single artificial light will be LEDs or something new.

Back