• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about clipping first round of flowers

I have done some research and gotten mixed reviews. Is it a good idea to clip the first round of flowers off of new pepper plants? Does this help flower production in the long run? Also, are you supposed to clip the large leaves at the base of the plant? Does this help production as well? Thanks. Sort of new to growing all of these pepper plants.

just do what i do and over fertilize you will lose all the flowers and then the leaves lol
seriously dont do what i do

lol :D

If your plants are still quite small (and hence aren't able to bear much fruit) it will be beneficial removing flowers providing you have long enough left in your season.

I clip / pinch ALL flowers on my plants until they are at least 12" size. The first year I let a few grow and ended up with 10-15 fruit on that plant and the ones I pinched gave me over 100 fruit.

It will make more of a difference with plants that produce a few large pods vs plants that produce many small pods. Some people set an arbitrary height to allow pod formation, but there is some subjectivity involved. Just consider the energy investment necessary relative to your plant's current size... and if your plant looks kind of spindly definitely pick off the flowers until it can support the weight.

If you clip it your plants will grow taller faster cause it wiil be in the growing stage only but anything after 1ft or 18'' will be good when you get back flowers or however you feel,at the end of the day its up to you....

Back