• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question About Gnats and Bacillus thuringiensis

Noticed, despite mulching, several gnats (fungus gnats) buzzing up from the soil of my Bhut Jolokias every time I move the plant or tap the side. I'm worried that their larvae will chow down on my roots. I've been using sticky traps but most seem to avoid them. I have BT Discs I can mix in with water to feed the plant, but I'm curious if this is the most practical way to deal with them, or if that's extreme. I've been told I should let the soil dry out completely between waterings, but with the heat we're having I'm trying to avoid that.

Does anyone else use BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) and notice any adverse effect on plants, yield or pod health?

*As an aside, one of the older ostensibly seasoned employees at our local nursery, Navlet's, says fungus gnats won't harm roots. I'm assuming she also meant their eggs/larvae as well. This seems to contradict everythign I've read and heard about fungus gnats larvae. Is she misinformed, or is fungus gnat effect on roots overstated?

my understanding is that they can eat the little feeder roots(but not a bug harm to established plants) and i used Mosquito dunks(BT dunks) i took 1/2 of the circle and put it in 3 gallons of water and let it sit for afew days, then drenched the soil with the water, i also used the yellow sticky traps but only pealed 1 side and stcu it on verticle so it is wider and slide it down so its almosty touching the soil. and i caught tons of adults and i watered 3 times with the dunk infused water and i no longer have them. took some time but it worked!

From what i have read there is not adverse effects on the plants or us! so go for it and use them! it will help but it make take a few waterings to kill them all!

Eric

I had fungus gnats and have both treated them with BT and had no bad results and done nothing at all about the gnats with the same results.

Fungus gnats(their larvae) are more of a threat to small seedlings, large established plants should be fine unless weakened by a pathogen or over watering.

Back