• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about growing Peach Bhut Jolokia

First time growing peppers. My plants all look great, and are all on their first wave of pods. I read that the first wave will sometimes produce small peppers, which I believe has happened with this pod. This one recently began to ripen, but turned red. Should I expect it to turn peach? Could I be doing something wrong, besides being impatient?

20150618_002018_zpsqeffwupb.jpg

20150618_210637_zpslywhogqg.jpg

20150619_112732_zpswfn3dipp.jpg

I've grown peach bhuts for several years. That is not a peach bhut at all. Not even close. Sometimes first run pods can be on the smaller side, but they will still look like bhuts. One things I've noticed about my peach bhuts is that they are almost foamy feeling compared to most other pods. They will start out a light, pale green and will ripen from green to a yellow-ish peach color.

Where did you get your seeds/plants?

These are peach bhut jolokia and how all of mine have looked.

bhut-jolokia-peach-pepper-plants.jpg

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I've grown peach bhuts for several years. That is not a peach bhut at all. Not even close. Sometimes first run pods can be on the smaller side, but they will still look like bhuts. One things I've noticed about my peach bhuts is that they are almost foamy feeling compared to most other pods. They will start out a light, pale green and will ripen from green to a yellow-ish peach color.

I ordered all of my seeds from PepperLover.com. Maybe there was a mix-up of some sort with these when they were packed. I had a few more of these "bhuts" growing but gave them away to a friend, and they died under his care. Now i'll never know if it is just this one seed that is bad or the whole pack  :banghead:

Mr. Moruga said:

I ordered all of my seeds from PepperLover.com. Maybe there was a mix-up of some sort with these when they were packed. I had a few more of these "bhuts" growing but gave them away to a friend, and they died under his care. Now i'll never know if it is just this one seed that is bad or the whole pack  :banghead:

Mixups can and do happen sometimes. Both sellers and growers mix up their crops on occasion. Could you have mislabeled your pots by any chance? Judy (pepperlover) is top notch, so I would shoot her an email about it. I have faith that she will make it right if that is the case.

TrueNorthReptiles said:

Mixups can and do happen sometimes. Both sellers and growers mix up their crops on occasion. Could you have mislabeled your pots by any chance? Judy (pepperlover) is top notch, so I would shoot her an email about it. I have faith that she will make it right if that is the case.

I am assuming it was just me, but it definitely came from the ghost pack. I also planted it at a different time from when I started the others. It has been in it's own style bucket so I never even have to read it's label. I was thinking maybe I could have somehow accidentally mixed another seed in this pack, but this plant looks a lot different from the other strains I am growing at the moment, and the leaves are pretty raggedy. It is interesting though! My mystery pepper. I am sure she would make it right as well, I am definitely not worried about it though. She has given me so many free seeds, I hardly know what to do with all of these flavors! Going to continue to grow it out and see if it can be identified, if it is one of my own then I definitely must have mixed seeds somehow. I want to start more seeds from that pack to see if the seeds got mixed along the way but I don't have the room. Maybe I will give them to a friend to grow! Anyone want to be my friend?  :drunk:

TrueNorthReptiles said:

I'd have to echo TNR on this. Mine have all looked like his picture. Longer, bumpier, and peach colored.

Back