• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question about habanero plant

Hello all, just found the forum the other day...lot of good stuff here.

anyway, i have this plant here:
20091214182945.jpg

i grew it from seed, from an orange habanero i bought from my local supermarket. its coming along slowly but surely.

but the leaves are weird looking, theyre not like any other pepper plant ive ever grown. i looked up pics of orange habanero plants online, and all their leaves resemble glossy bell pepper leaves.

im wondering what ive actually got here? do you guys think it'll put out orange habs? im sort of unsure because ive heard hybrids can produce all kinds of weird stuff, and who knows what breed the grocery store buys...

i guess my question is, has anybody ever seen a hab plant with leaves like this before?

wow.......

let me see if i understand you right...are you saying you bought a pepper at a store, removed a seed and used that to plant?

or did you get a seed packet?

if you got it from a seed packet, somebody messed up big time in packaging.

if you got it from a pepper..............call a biologist, because you have a genetic freak on your hands :shocked:

it sorta looks like cabbage/broccoli does when it starts, but if you pulled it from a pepper, theres just no way i can think of that you would get a plant looking like that......

gardenvato said:
wow.......

let me see if i understand you right...are you saying you bought a pepper at a store, removed a seed and used that to plant?

or did you get a seed packet?

if you got it from a seed packet, somebody messed up big time in packaging.

if you got it from a pepper..............call a biologist, because you have a genetic freak on your hands :shocked:

it sorta looks like cabbage/broccoli does when it starts, but if you pulled it from a pepper, theres just no way i can think of that you would get a plant looking like that......

yep, i bought an orange habanero from the store and saved the seed and planted it. this is the result. ive still got a handful left in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

That is NOT a chilli plant. Looks like pumpkin leaves.

Oh yeah and to answer your question, no i have NEVER seen a hab plant with leaves like that. :flamethrower: Burn it with fire.

SJ39 said:
yep, i bought an orange habanero from the store and saved the seed and planted it. this is the result. ive still got a handful left in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

hmm. well thats just wierd. definitely not a pepper plant unless like chillilover says, if you live near a nuclear plant

Novacastrian said:
That is NOT a chilli plant. Looks like pumpkin leaves.

Oh yeah and to answer your question, no i have NEVER seen a hab plant with leaves like that. :flamethrower: Burn it with fire.
"Burn it with fire"? it's not like he could burn it with water or sand... the phrase go "Kill it with fire!".

Oh yeah... it ain't no chile.

LOL no i dont live near one, but maybe the habs were grown near one?

002dv.jpg

those are the seeds ive used, matter of fact ive germinated two different batches. they all come out the same. they look like pepper seeds, but wtf is this plant ive got?

Doesn't look like any habanero I've ever seen. If it grows a pepper I'll be gobsmacked.

I'm with nova it looks very 'pupmkinish'.

LordViykor said:
Doesn't look like any habanero I've ever seen. If it grows a pepper I'll be gobsmacked.

I'm with nova it looks very 'pupmkinish'.

but i dont even have any pumpkin seeds lol. i mean would it be possible that people are crossbreeding plants or something?

Maybe the seeds were already in the soil?
Take a rockwool cube, plant one of them seeds in it (they look like Capsicum to me) and watch it grow.
If it still grows this way, take good care of it and write down every little update! you my friend have discovered a new species! :lol:
I'd keep growing the seedling just for the sport of it. although it's 100% not Capsicum.

SJ39 said:
but i dont even have any pumpkin seeds lol. i mean would it be possible that people are crossbreeding plants or something?

The seeds pic looks like chilli seeds no doubt there, the leaves look weird though. I don't think anyone could cross pumpkins with chillies.

Omri said:
Maybe the seeds were already in the soil?
Take a rockwool cube, plant one of them seeds in it (they look like Capsicum to me) and watch it grow.
If it still grows this way, take good care of it and write down every little update! you my friend have discovered a new species! :lol:
I'd keep growing the seedling just for the sport of it. although it's 100% not Capsicum.

they were all grown in peat pellets, i dont have any rockwool cubes.

this plant definitely came from the seeds in that picture above, im just trying to figure what the hell ive got on my hands here. the one in the pic is probably 1-2 months old, so its growing really slow under fluorescent. maybe ill stick it under HPS and see if i cant solve this puzzle quicker lol

Omri said:
"Burn it with fire"? it's not like he could burn it with water or sand... the phrase go "Kill it with fire!".

Oh yeah... it ain't no chile.

He could burn it with extreme cold ;):cool:

IMO there aint no way that the plant you are growing came from those chilli seeds, im not calling you a liar just saying that somewhere along the line there has been a mix-up.

Side by side, yours and a pumpkin seedling.
pumpkinhab.jpg

spr2007_lumina_pumpkin.jpg

I agree, I don't think that is a pepper plant, but it probably was a stray seed in the soil. Try growing another one, if it sprouts I'm sure it won't look like the plant you have pictured

Matt Berry said:
I agree, I don't think that is a pepper plant, but it probably was a stray seed in the soil. Try growing another one, if it sprouts I'm sure it won't look like the plant you have pictured

thats the thing, i planted these in peat pellets. two seperate batches, 3 pellets each time. all plants were the exact same.

i got rid of the first batch, because they got leggy and fell over. its almost like a pumpkin vine like someone said, but i dont have any pumpkin seeds.

i can try another pellet with a few seeds, and post pics. they sprout unusually fast too.

Back