• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about my Carolina Reaper?

This plant sprouted in March, and I topped and pruned it a bit, about a month or so ago. Is this normal growth? I can't put it in the direct sunlight, because the leaves wilt in the 95°-102° weather. It's in a 12" pot.

I'd go get a cheap 5 gallon bucket from a big box store and drill some holes in the sides near the bottom and transplant it. My Reapers started from seed around the same time and my first pods are ripe as of today. 

It also need more sun to get big and fruit . I live in Florida and I used to always think that too . It looks super healthy . Pot it up in a 10 or 12 gallon container and slowly get it used to the heat . It will thank you for it . 

Pot size is less important than medium in my humble opinion. This is a pepper I started in April. Carolina Reaper seeds purchased from pepperlover.com

http://imgur.com/YTnVi2X

it is only in a 3 gallon pot. I keep this one trimmed back and in the house along with my brown moruga and brazillian starfish for cross pollination purposes.

I started a bunch of peppers last fall. Growing under T5 lights in red solo cups all winter. In red solo cups they grew to around 2 feet tall when I started cutting them back. 2 foot tall peppers in solo cups had pods on them.

My point being, pot size isnt why this pepper is stunted. I dont pretend to know the cause, as I am by no means a professional, but it clearly isnt because it has out grown that pot. As Romy said, keep working to harden it off on sunlight.

Very nice ;-)

We are going to be 104-107 in the next few days here. Containers are shaded.

I feel ya, it got to 104° here, Mon before last, right about the time my outside A/C unit, decided to pack it in, and call it quits.

Don't understand why you are cutting them back but if possible keep them hydrated and a mix of direct/indirect sunlight....just cause their hot peppers doesn't mean they like the high temps. I've been growing for the last 7 years in pots (5 gal) and the biggest issue is heat and lack of watering regularly.
 Spent some time in Biloxi and though I enjoyed myself there that chit is hot ! :fireball:

good luck with growing down there !

Don't understand why you are cutting them back but if possible keep them hydrated and a mix of direct/indirect sunlight....just cause their hot peppers doesn't mean they like the high temps. I've been growing for the last 7 years in pots (5 gal) and the biggest issue is heat and lack of watering regularly.
 Spent some time in Biloxi and though I enjoyed myself there that chit is hot ! :fireball:

good luck with growing down there !

I topped them, so they would bush out rather than grow tall and skinny, as they were doing. I pruned them, so the massive leaves that were on them wouldn't shade the rest of the plant, and would allow more growth. It's worked so far, once we've had cooler temps. I didn't make any suggestion that since they were hot peppers, that they liked hot temps, just that they wilted in any kind of sun when it was around the 100° mark, which is what we've been dealing with here everyday for the last 4-5 weeks. Looks like temps have settled in the 80s here, and we've gotten some rain in the last week, so my plants are really loving it and responding well.

Back