• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Question about my grow lights

I know allot of you might help me out here ;)
Ok I bought these lights http://www.walmart.c...ixture/16879945
I was cheap :)
I live in phoenix arizona so its pretty nice weather here.
My two questions are how close do I want to have these lights at and what times should they be turned off and on *I have a timer to switch them off and on :).

How many of them do you have (only 1093 lumens)? How many babies do you have?

I have eight 1600 lumen CFLs about 3in above one 72 cell tray.

Going with what ya have, use the back of your hand as a guide for how close. If it is uncomfortable on your hand it is too close. With flouro you should be able to get like within inches (4,6,8,) and be good. Also, a lot of growers go 18/6. The times are up to you. I have mine 10am to 4 pm off so I can work with them when I get off work. As it gets closer to the plant out I will start moving more towards my timezone by moving the off time slowly.

It says
  • Color: 4200K
  • Lumens: 1093
I have 2 of these btw and Im either thinking about growing 7 plants or more not sure yet but ill probably grow more ;)

It says
  • Color: 4200K
  • Lumens: 1093

I started out my seedlings with 3 of those lights! They will only do the trick for a few weeks after they sprout, and make sure they are only a few inches above your seedlings, After that you will either have to add a brighter light/s, or do what I did and buy a T5 or something like it. If you wanna go cheap get a few of those Walmart grow lights and get a few compact CFLS and put it in a desk lamp if you have one! Make sure it says 6500K and atleast 1,500 lumens on the box

Hmm It might just be enough weather to put them out after I grow them indoors for starting them off but not so sure. Ugh lol I guess i could fork out some and get T5's or something on the web sent to my house.

It's been around 70 in the day and 40 at night

Going with what ya have, use the back of your hand as a guide for how close. If it is uncomfortable on your hand it is too close. With flouro you should be able to get like within inches (4,6,8,) and be good. Also, a lot of growers go 18/6. The times are up to you. I have mine 10am to 4 pm off so I can work with them when I get off work. As it gets closer to the plant out I will start moving more towards my timezone by moving the off time slowly.
Thanks MGOLD I work at night usally around 12:00am to 6:00am sometimes later So I have verry odd hours. but growing is so fun that I come out of my vampire coffin to check on my plants. so 18.6 is 6:pm to 6am? or am I verry wrong lol? or it means 18 light and 6 night?

How many of them do you have (only 1093 lumens)? How many babies do you have?

I have eight 1600 lumen CFLs about 3in above one 72 cell tray.

wow that is a lot, lol, for my seedlings I got away with, and did well with just 4 CFL lights.. but they were 100w eq at 6,500k and I think they were 2,400 lumens each, and I was really just trying to get them started, and had good window light too, so I didn't really worry about it to much, and didn't want to spend the money

but fathual, I would honestly just return them.. unless your really broke,(but I don't think it would be a whole lot more than what you spent so far, and would definitely be well worth it) but I would return them and just get 4 CFL lights for now, and those work shop lamps (the sockets with the reflector domes, and clamp attached to it.. just take the domes off and use the sockets.. or you can go to lowes and I think they just have the socket and wires.. I saw them the other day and wished I had got them instead of all the dome reflectors which I just ended up taking off) and that lasted me (I also had some window light too during the day) but it lasted me till I needed to re-pot them into 1 gallon pots, then it just was a matter of space, but that was about a month to a month and a half later I think after sowing seeds.. so you would be fine by then as far as weather.. just get some emergency blankets and if you don't have a shelf, use a cardboard box to just put the emergency blankets onto to get as much light reflected back onto the plants.. and if you have a southern facing window.. even better

wow that is a lot, lol, for my seedlings I got away with, and did well with just 4 CFL lights.. but they were 100w eq at 6,500k and I think they were 2,400 lumens each, and I was really just trying to get them started, and had good window light too, so I didn't really worry about it to much, and didn't want to spend the money

but fathual, I would honestly just return them.. unless your really broke,(but I don't think it would be a whole lot more than what you spent so far, and would definitely be well worth it) but I would return them and just get 4 CFL lights for now, and those work shop lamps (the sockets with the reflector domes, and clamp attached to it.. just take the domes off and use the sockets.. or you can go to lowes and I think they just have the socket and wires.. I saw them the other day and wished I had got them instead of all the dome reflectors which I just ended up taking off) and that lasted me (I also had some window light too during the day) but it lasted me till I needed to re-pot them into 1 gallon pots, then it just was a matter of space, but that was about a month to a month and a half later I think after sowing seeds.. so you would be fine by then as far as weather.. just get some emergency blankets and if you don't have a shelf, use a cardboard box to just put the emergency blankets onto to get as much light reflected back onto the plants.. and if you have a southern facing window.. even better
Thanks Max Ill definatly get some better lights *lesson learned* theres so many lessons im learning from this though hopefully i dont do too many mistakes xD but thats part of learning.

I would try 24/7 for the first 5 weeks, and 18/6 after that. It makes for nice bushy plants. Lots of light early is key IMO.

Maxsack, I keep my babies under those lights till plant out. That's why so much!

Fathual, the 18/6 means 18hrs on, 6 hrs off; and 24/7 is light around the clock. If its in the 70s outside put them out (not full sun too soon) and don't worry about big time lights right now.

You should research on this board especially under grow tech, there are many, many posts on point.

You will never learn about lighting if you expect to be spoon-fed.

Yeah, those will work for a few plants...but IMO you are better off purchasing a 4' t8 shoplight and 2 6500k daylight bulbs. Unless your space requires 2' fixtures. The shoplight fixture is around the same $$$ but you do have to buy the bulbs as well. You will still be out the door for around $20 though with 4x the lumens (2 bulbs at 3050 lumens each) and a better color for growth. A couple inches above is right.. I have even had a couple of my taller plants almost touching the bulbs the they were fine.

Maxsack, I keep my babies under those lights till plant out. That's why so much!

Fathual, the 18/6 means 18hrs on, 6 hrs off; and 24/7 is light around the clock. If its in the 70s outside put them out (not full sun too soon) and don't worry about big time lights right now.

oo, gotcha, well that makes sense then lol

Thanks Max Ill definatly get some better lights *lesson learned* theres so many lessons im learning from this though hopefully i dont do too many mistakes xD but thats part of learning.

no problem, the first week or 2 that I started trying to get everything setup, I was in and out of stores all the time.. returning and buying new stuff like crazy lol.. I have 4 150w CFL lights in 2,700k that I didn't really want to use since I would rather have 6,500k lying in the basement now, but I might use them later on.. but who knows.. i also have a 300w eq. CFL that is huge in 2,700k, I'll use it eventually but again.. I don't know.. a lot of money wasted, or not really wasted, just not being used yet.. I might use it eventually

I have to go to class right now so I don't have time to find the link, but search "cold garage setup" or "cold garage grow tent" or something like that.. started by MGold (can't remember which numbers are at the end of his sn but you'll find it, it will give you a good idea of the steps we had going through this.. and also search "cheap grow light setup" i think it is.. that is a good one too

You should research on this board especially under grow tech, there are many, many posts on point.

You will never learn about lighting if you expect to be spoon-fed.
Harsh words but ill try too take your advice thanks.

oo, gotcha, well that makes sense then lol

no problem, the first week or 2 that I started trying to get everything setup, I was in and out of stores all the time.. returning and buying new stuff like crazy lol.. I have 4 150w CFL lights in 2,700k that I didn't really want to use since I would rather have 6,500k lying in the basement now, but I might use them later on.. but who knows.. i also have a 300w eq. CFL that is huge in 2,700k, I'll use it eventually but again.. I don't know.. a lot of money wasted, or not really wasted, just not being used yet.. I might use it eventually

I have to go to class right now so I don't have time to find the link, but search "cold garage setup" or "cold garage grow tent" or something like that.. started by MGold (can't remember which numbers are at the end of his sn but you'll find it, it will give you a good idea of the steps we had going through this.. and also search "cheap grow light setup" i think it is.. that is a good one too
t12 daylight 40watts 3050 lumens 6500k color temp 4 bulbs 2 fixtures. Maybe a little overboard but Eh I figure this is what im going to enjoy ill get something good. Plus i worked extra hard at work to get these.

Willard wasn't trying to be harsh. Take what he says with an eager ear. Look up his plants, the man can grow his indoor babies!

All he meant was that there is sooooooo much info on lights to look into on here. What little feedback you get won't even scratch the surface of it all. You must find what works best for your situation and cost structure is all.

What you've got now sounds great for seedlings. Pour the light to em! Best of luck =)

t12 daylight 40watts 3050 lumens 6500k color temp 4 bulbs 2 fixtures. Maybe a little overboard but Eh I figure this is what im going to enjoy ill get something good. Plus i worked extra hard at work to get these.

that works too, I just didn't have any space to put the whole fixtures so the CFL lights were better for my situation, should work out great

That was my starting setup...just switched to t8's because they're phasing out the 12's...will work awesome for you. Plus they will produce a little more heat for your plants than the 8's too.

Willard wasn't trying to be harsh. Take what he says with an eager ear. Look up his plants, the man can grow his indoor babies!

All he meant was that there is sooooooo much info on lights to look into on here. What little feedback you get won't even scratch the surface of it all. You must find what works best for your situation and cost structure is all.

What you've got now sounds great for seedlings. Pour the light to em! Best of luck =)
Thanks woody3 some of my seeds came in im waiting for the other's, this comunity has been generious to give me free seeds I was willing to pay for them, but they where nice enough too send me some :).

That was my starting setup...just switched to t8's because they're phasing out the 12's...will work awesome for you. Plus they will produce a little more heat for your plants than the 8's too.
What's phasing out the 12's mean btw. Also glad I got the right thing :) I should use these for years to come. Unless something catches my eye :(.

What's phasing out the 12's mean btw. Also glad I got the right thing :) I should use these for years to come. Unless something catches my eye :(.

it means that companys are going to stop selling them out slowly.. its like VCR, they are obsolete and will slowly be taken off the market.. so in a few years, you won't be able to get them.. but then again. T8 and T5s will be much cheaper then anyways... or at least they should be

Thanks woody3 some of my seeds came in im waiting for the other's, this comunity has been generious to give me free seeds I was willing to pay for them, but they where nice enough too send me some :).

Back