• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about one of my OW'd plants

I have a Jalapeno plant that is entering its third year now.  While it was inside this winter I had a nasty aphid infestation that required I trim most of the leaves off, and the few that remained have unfortunately fallen prey as well and have since fallen off.  My plan was to put the Jalapeno in my raised bed instead of the container it has been in for the past 2 years so that it could hopefully get as huge as my Cayenne got in the same bed last year (which reminds me I need to start my glog for this year...).  Anyways, I put it out in my raised bed just over a week ago, but I still do not see any signs of leaf growth.  Is there anything I can do to encourage leaf growth?  Without any leaves at all, is it still possible for my Jalapeno to even make a comeback?  

As long as the stems are still green and pliable, it's still fighting. I have a TS CARDI that I OWed that lost all of its leaves last winter. It's taking a while, but it is covered in buds that have been slowly growing for the last two weeks. 
     How did the roots look when you planted it out?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     As long as the stems are still green and pliable, it's still fighting. I have a TS CARDI that I OWed that lost all of its leaves last winter. It's taking a while, but it is covered in buds that have been slowly growing for the last two weeks. 
     How did the roots look when you planted it out?
Most of the stems are still green, inside some of the more woody stems are green inside so it's definitely still alive.  Roots looked ok as far as I could tell, nothing out of the ordinary I think but I'm not 100% what I'd be looking for symptom wise

sreinhard88 said:
Most of the stems are still green,
inside some of the more woody stems are green inside  
Roots looked ok as far  
nothing out of the ordinary

I'm not 100% what I'd be looking for symptom wise

Well, regardless of whether or not you knew what you were looking for, you found it. All signs indicate you have nothing to worry about. Your plant is alive and healthy, just dormant. It will flush leaves again. 
     The speed at which it does so depends on the condition of your plant's roots. Since your plant is missing leaves, photosynthetic potential will be almost zero. That's where the roots come in. The plant will draw energy from the roots to start growing leaves. It will start slow, and then speed up once it starts putting on some leaves.
     Keep an eye out for growth at the nodes. At first it will look like tiny greenish white bumps, then leaves will start to differentiate and before you know it, you'll see shoots. Give it a little fertilizer if you want now. Then give it a bigger dose once you see that growth is really starting to take off.

Here are some pics of my CARDI. It was raining, so the pics suck.

Here's what a bud looks like when it first sprouts. 
IMG_0319_zpskwjbohea.jpg

Here's one with leaves beginning to differentiate.
IMG_0320_zpsjnadz6l4.jpg

Here's a shot with a couple of shoots at different stages of growth.
IMG_0321_zpso1thgvum.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Well, regardless of whether or not you knew what you were looking for, you found it. All signs indicate you have nothing to worry about. Your plant is alive and healthy, just dormant. It will flush leaves again. 
     The speed at which it does so depends on the condition of your plant's roots. Since your plant is missing leaves, photosynthetic potential will be almost zero. That's where the roots come in. The plant will draw energy from the roots to start growing leaves. It will start slow, and then speed up once it starts putting on some leaves.
     Keep an eye out for growth at the nodes. At first it will look like tiny greenish white bumps, then leaves will start to differentiate and before you know it, you'll see shoots. Give it a little fertilizer if you want now. Then give it a bigger dose once you see that growth is really starting to take off.

Here are some pics of my CARDI. It was raining, so the pics suck.

Here's what a bud looks like when it first sprouts. 
IMG_0319_zpskwjbohea.jpg

Here's one with leaves beginning to differentiate.
IMG_0320_zpsjnadz6l4.jpg

Here's a shot with a couple of shoots at different stages of growth.
IMG_0321_zpso1thgvum.jpg
Wow, nice pics!  Better than anything my non-smart phone could ever take.  Good examples of what I should be looking for in the future.  As I said, from what I could tell the roots were fine, it appeared as if it still had a pretty full system going and I continued to water periodically all winter.  Gave it a small dose of ferts today to see if that helps, but I think for now the only thing left to do is [im]patiently wait.  Thanks!

Back