• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about ordinary house flies

On very hot days there are hundreds of house flies all over and around my pepper plants.

Are they eating aphids or laying eggs that aphids will eat? Long short - are thay distructive or benificial?

I can't seem to find an answer to this simple question on the weeb.

Thank you

I'm not aware of any threat they pose to plants, and they shouldn't interact with the aphids at all.

Depending on the type of aphid they may be attracted to the sugars they put out, but I don't see how that would benefit the aphids at all.

Had thousands of them hanging around my plants last summer.They seemed to like hanging out in the plants to escape the hottest part of the day.
No damage done although if I disturbed the plants I would get a black swarm of flies in my face  :/

Sounds to me like they're trying to keep cool. Moisture escaping from the leaves of your plants is called "transpiration", which among other things, keep your plants cool.

So to the flies, sitting on a leaf with evaporative cooling is far better that sitting on any other "hot" surface.

SR.

Chilima said:
There is not one beneficial reason to keep the flies on the pepper plants.. get rid of them and the source

If he can attract enough of them that they start littering the ground with their dead, the decaying bodies will fertilize the soil.

...Sorry, I like to be contrary.

Wulf said:

If he can attract enough of them that they start littering the ground with their dead, the decaying bodies will fertilize the soil.

...Sorry, I like to be contrary.

do what this man says, also keyword here being littering :liar:

Chilima said:
There is not one beneficial reason to keep the flies on the pepper plants.. get rid of them and the source

How do you do that w/o poisoning the beneficial critters living in the garden?

Have a little faith in the world!  If nothing else, the swarms will attract predatory insects that will chomp destructive bugs as well as the 'innocent' flies.

Well this has been interesting, and entertaining.

I'm not sure where they come from (the flies) but they show up every year for a few weeks. : /

Back