• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question about pots

I have to grow in pots because our garden space is used for other plants. I was wondering if the pot shape makes a difference. This year I grew in 3 gallon pots, but next year I plan to grow in bigger ones. I have two options available to me, 15 gallon and taller pots, or 55 gallon barel cut in half. I guess my question is does it make a difference if the pot is tall or wide

I think your issue is not going to be size of the pots but the weight of them after you have soil and plants in them, you are not going to be able to move 1/2 55 gallon barrels with ease if you had too. I would go with the 15 gal.

I have thought about this also 15 gal tall or 55 gal cut in half , take a 55 gal cut in in half and cut out handles to lift it so like 25gal finished pot, but like XLNT said moving it around it will be heavy, my 20 gal air pot/plant weighs in at 75 lbs so 25gal pot could be close to 100 depending on moisture soil type and plant size etc... But yea i think the wide larger volume would be better then the deep narow I might be wrong .

15 gal pots are roughly 17 1/2 x 15 inchs tall - a 55 gal drum is 34.5 inches tall x 24 inches wide. When you half the drum it is the same height as the 15 gal pot but a little wider. Now the question is how many plants are you going to grow in each container. Most likely 1 in the 15 gallon, but are you going to be tempted to try an squeeze more than one into the 25 gallon?

15 gal pots are roughly 17 1/2 x 15 inchs tall - a 55 gal drum is 34.5 inches tall x 24 inches wide. When you half the drum it is the same height as the 15 gal pot but a little wider. Now the question is how many plants are you going to grow in each container. Most likely 1 in the 15 gallon, but are you going to be tempted to try an squeeze more than one into the 25 gallon?

Not tempted to put more than one in each pot. But I know I need bigger pots than I have this year.

I think you are fine either way you go. The only reason I ask about the plant number is I see a lot of guys put 3 plants in 25 gal container and then use a large tomato cage to stake them up.

Several members are using the recycle shopping bags from walmart and the likes (walmart sells them for 50 cents a piece and they hold 4.5 gallons of soil and have handles since they are made to carry your groceries home in -- for the price it seems to be a good deal !!

I try to avoid that store at all costs, I think I've only ever been in one once and that was more than enough. I have found these tho, and they seem to be a good deal.

http://bit.ly/Pmi04U

I try to avoid that store at all costs, I think I've only ever been in one once and that was more than enough. I have found these tho, and they seem to be a good deal.

http://bit.ly/Pmi04U

i'm a little late, i think alpha hydropnics might be a little cheaper, but not sure how it works with shipping, i just order 5-5 gallons with handels for 12 bucks for the 5 pack, i think 7 gallons were like a dollar or two more,

There must be a balance between large enough to spread the roots out and small enough to move. Being able to move containers quick enough to avoid wind and hail damage during storms will prove to be very useful. It can make the difference between having plants at harvest time or not.

I like that the 5 gallon buckets have handles also. Makes for a fast move (2 buckets each hand) when nasty storms appear. I had my children well-conditioned last summer to start grabbing buckets as soon as black clouds and strong wind appeared. I would love to see how big my plants would get in a 25 gallon container, but with the strong winds in my neighborhood they wouldn't do. Someday I will retire to an area where I can grow monstrous tree-like pepper plants all year long...

Back