• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Question about scoville

Gotrox said:
a peck of pickled peppers peter piper picked.

Oh hell no. You had to bring pickling into the equation, and how much capsaicin ends up in the solution. 

Wait. Blend the peppers with the solution. It's back in.  :lol:

Oh but the mass! Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Formula, please.

(if it's pickled, the capsacin is equally distributed, hence,--- formula:  total shu = pepper shu + liquid shu (null) divided by the ratio of pepper weight to (null) weight.)

Where's that damned 40 function calculator when I need it.

I have a pint of pickled SB7J that will be ready for analysis in a week. :hell:

PepperDaddler said:
Blended pizza could be very good when drunk though...

Especially with some hot pepper thrown in.

Only if you were 75+ and toothless...

Eating a pizza with a straw just builds all kind of nasty images for me. Even WITH the heat added.

:high:

Jeff H said:

They are all still confused and bewildered in Colorado. There heads are still spinning from the recall election earlier this week. 
No confusion here...I assure you that :eh:

The Hot Pepper said:

Oh hell no. You had to bring pickling into the equation, and how much capsaicin ends up in the solution. 

Formula, please.

But if you blend pickled peppers, you have hot sauce and hot sauce is measured in SHUs so why wouldn't blended pizza :confused: 

And one of these days, I'm going to drink enough to make that blended pizza seem like a good idea.....

Vodu said:
No confusion here...I assure you that :eh:

I hope you are as pleased as I am about the results. I'm still sad about what happened to Colorado and New York earlier this year.  :confused:

BUT, if you blended all the politicians, what would their SHU be? BAM!! back on topic. 

You bet your ass I am pleased, essentially they made everything but a BB gun illegal, hopefully this will create a ripple effect across the country, letting politicians know WE will not tolerate their crap.

All blended politicians SHU would be a 0 rating.

Still on topic :)

The Hot Pepper said:

Formula, please.

Stick several fresh morougas in a bottle of olives. In a week or so, make a dirty martini with that olive pickling juice.

Wheeee!

It all depends on how you word the question and the answer. If you mix one ounce of 40% rum with 9 ounces of coke, you have a rum and coke that is 4% alcohol. If you mix 2 ounces of rum with 8 ounces of coke, it does not make the rum 80% alcohol, but it does up the alcohol of the drink to 8%. SHU do not "stack" per se, you are just ingesting more at one time. See, booze solves all problems :rofl:

The Hot Pepper said:

Formula, please.
Put it all in the blender with the pizza!
:D

Darthpepper said:
It all depends on how you word the question and the answer. If you mix one ounce of 40% rum with 9 ounces of coke, you have a rum and coke that is 4% alcohol. If you mix 2 ounces of rum with 8 ounces of coke, it does not make the rum 80% alcohol, but it does up the alcohol of the drink to 8%. SHU do not "stack" per se, you are just ingesting more at one time. See, booze solves all problems :rofl:

I guess then you are no more drunk after 10 beers, than one. Hmmm. Seems you are, so 10 peppers is hotter than one. Have another beer Darth. :lol: Analogies do not help. SHU is not a percentage rating anyway.

Wish it was. Then we could convert it to volume based on weight. There is no volume rating.

Thanks for the lesson. I always thought it meant 5000% of a single jalapeño is cap. I had no idea. I'm not sure why you're shooting me down. I'm agreeing with everything you said. I'm just trying to put it in different terms that could make it more understandable.

I was playing on the fact you were talking about drinking... and joking.

If it was percentage (as in jalapenos are .5% capsaicin) we could convert it to volume based on weight, with a 100g jalapeno, we could say, oh you ingested 500 milligrams of capsaicin, oh, that sauce has 10 peppers, that sauce has 5 grams of capsaicin, based on the size of the sauce, you'd also know the percentage of cap in it, and eventually people would get to know the numbers, like Scovilles, so we'd know what was hot and what was not. Unfortunately there is no volume scale. Unless you are dealing with pure cap crystal, 16 million Scovilles, which is 100% capsaicin.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Put it all in the blender with the pizza!
:D

And some hwwhiskey, I need it :lol:

I think I'm all talked out here and probably wrong anyway :lol:

Going to get a straw.

Darthpepper said:
It all depends on how you word the question and the answer. If you mix one ounce of 40% rum with 9 ounces of coke, you have a rum and coke that has 4 ADU(alcoholic drink units) If you mix 2 ounces of rum with 8 ounces of coke, it does not make the rum 80% alcohol, but it does up the alcohol of the drink to 8 ADU. SHU do not "stack" per se, you are just ingesting more at one time. See, booze solves all problems :rofl:
I totally get what you're saying boss. Like I said, I agree with you. The reason for the analogy is the fact that a SHU is not tangible item that I can hand you and say this is a SHU. I can however hand you a shot and someone will understand what it is and how it reacts when you ingest it. Like you said stacking pepper(more alcohol) does not raise the SHU of the pepper(proof), but it does increase the amount you are ingest, and how you will react to said ingestion(feel heat/get drunk). Sorry for any misunderstanding. Like I said, I'm on your side on this one dude!

Guys, did I miss anything? I just ran to the kitchen to make a Rocky Road calzone frappe.

Jeff H said:
BUT, if you blended all the politicians, what would their SHU be? BAM!! back on topic. 
I don't think pink slime contains capsaicin.

clarification-
from what I understand, 100% pure capsaicin is 16,000,000 SHU and is basically only achievable in a lab and is very expensive to produce.  The crystalline capsaicin powders that are available online are 95% pure which is 15.2million SHU.  I don't know of any source for getting 100% pure crystalline capsaicin.

Technically, "Capsaicin" is only one of several capsaicinoids, the family of chemicals in chiles that give them their heat sensations. 

Nowadays, SHU of a chile or product can be measured using HPLC (high pressure liquid chromatography).  HPLC can measure the amount of capsaicin or capsaicinoids in the sample and convert that ppm to what we know of as the SHU scale.

This Wiki page seems pretty accurate. 

Back