• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Question about the Carolina Reaper

Nicole said:

They were scared and did it out of fear of losing their farm if they were sued, they didn't do their research . It's truly unfortunate.
. Are you saying that I'm lying? Because I'm just relaying information that has been shared with me, take it how you want I was just responding to whoever was interested in what exactly ed had patented
no not at all.

im calling someone i know a liar. but we are not talking about the same person. because the person i know doesnt own a thing let alone a farm.

Nicole said:

They were scared and did it out of fear of losing their farm if they were sued, they didn't do their research . It's truly unfortunate.
. Are you saying that I'm lying? Because I'm just relaying information that has been shared with me, take it how you want I was just responding to whoever was interested in what exactly ed had patented
That interested person would be me. Proof, this thread has gotten sufficiently off topic. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten shut down yet. 

I suggest asking Ed :) . My guess is that he will give you his blessing.  I'm not sure what protection the reaper has other than the trademark on the official name.

Dulac said:
I suggest asking Ed :) . My guess is that he will give you his blessing.  I'm not sure what protection the reaper has other than the trademark on the official name.
Email him at his website? Or, does the madman himself have a THP account?

7potquezada said:
Email him at his website? Or, does the madman himself have a THP account?

Email sounds like a good way to contact him. He would be wise to avoid THP like the plague due to the controversy and competitors ready to attack. The controversy was mostly due to Pepperjoe's aggressive form of marketing. Ed's a really nice guy even though I don't agree with protecting plants. I don't know if legal threats were made by him. I do know that the person who supposedly burned their plants ended up selling reaper pods and seeds.

Here is what his site says before you purchase seeds from him:

"I agree with the Terms and Conditions. Seeds purchased through PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates, along with plants and peppers grown therefrom, shall be used for personal and non-commercial purposes only. Any reproduction or redistribution of seeds or plants therefrom, or commercial use of peppers grown from these seeds, or derivatives thereof, is prohibited without the express written consent of PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates. In so purchasing seeds through PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates, you expressly agree to these terms and conditions of sale."

I got my seeds from a pod a very generous THP member sent me, so I never agreed to this :) . However, I think it's a good idea to talk with the man before doing business. Getting written consent would be awesome to avoid an attempt of a lawsuit.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Yes, I've run into quite a bit of crazy posts on THP in regards to all that. I'd rather avoid it. It doesn't go anywhere but in circles.
Good idea, I'll email him. It'd be great to have his blessing :)

I see what you did there haha. I got mine from Refining fire chiles lol...so neither did I. I had no clue there was so much controversy surrounding this awesome pepper.

He bred a very awesome pepper imo. I love the taste, heat, and aesthetics.

I wasn't aware of that agreement. In court he would have to prove I agreed to that, so it wouldn't workout for him. I'd rather not upset Ed, so I'm glad it was mentioned and that I read it. There are some laws for protecting varieties. For all we know he is waiting on it getting protected. If I decide to sell any reaper seeds, I'll email him like I suggested. Let me know how it works out for you. 

He's on Facebook, I'm friends with him there. Ed's a great guy, and loves growing. 

I'm not going to comment on the legal aspects; not my place. Just wanted to chime in and provide a potential venue for those who DO want to contact him.

Back