• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question Re: Pepper flowers (Glog related but not specific)

I read that when your pepper plants bloom flowers, the flowers need to be stimulated as to promote pepper growth. I cant seem to find much info about this.

Any suggestions?

If your peppers are indoors when flowering, this is true, otherwise you don't need to worry about pollinating your flowers that are outdoors - nature takes care of this for you :)

If your peppers are indoors when flowering, this is true, otherwise you don't need to worry about pollinating your flowers that are outdoors - nature takes care of this for you :)

Really interesting. Thanks for that. I'm actually starting my seedlings indoors, and hopefully, move them outdoors for a full vegi cycle starting in early to mid march. The cold months here are Late December - February with not much chance of frost but temps can drop to the mid/low 40's. Is pollination taken care of by wind or bees? I think I've seen maybe 2 or 3 bees in the 2 years I've lived where I'm at.

I might be starting a little early though. I now have Serrano and S.Bonnets sprouting just now growing out of their cotyledons and showing signs of their first set of leaves.

Really interesting. Thanks for that. I'm actually starting my seedlings indoors, and hopefully, move them outdoors for a full vegi cycle starting in early to mid march. The cold months here are Late December - February with not much chance of frost but temps can drop to the mid/low 40's. Is pollination taken care of by wind or bees? I think I've seen maybe 2 or 3 bees in the 2 years I've lived where I'm at.

I might be starting a little early though. I now have Serrano and S.Bonnets sprouting just now growing out of their cotyledons and showing signs of their first set of leaves.

Pepper flowers are perfect flowers, meaning male and female parts. They are self pollinating. Even so its a good idea to have a few fans going and hand pollinate the flowers while growing indoors. Yes bees, wind and other insects help pollinate the flowers outdoors

Whether you are starting early depends on how much space and light you have. In the 5 months between now and mid-March they'll have reached a fairly good size given enough light, or possibly become too leggy to support themselves well later if the only exposure is sunlight through a window or door.

If you keep them inside while they are flowering, a fan, or a good shake will suffice for pollinating them.

Have you checked the Farmers almanac for the first and last frost date? its not 100% but it will give you a ballpark figure for how long you'll be growing them indoors.

The rest depends on your available space :)

and light

Back