• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question regarding Compost Turning

I recently started a compost heap made up of veggie/fruit scraps, egg shells/cartons, dried leaves from fig tree, grass clippings. I've read a bit on the subject(what it needs for it to reach a certain temp for the heap to decompose, waterings, layering), and I know it also needs oxygen for the right temp and faster breakdown. And I'm wondering, how often do you turn your pile? Once a week? Twice? Thanks in advance

from my understanding.. its every 3 days... ive been doing that for a year now and it seems to have worked.. nice earthy smelling compost... have made 3-4 batches....

denniz

from my understanding.. its every 3 days... ive been doing that for a year now and it seems to have worked.. nice earthy smelling compost... have made 3-4 batches....

denniz
+1 that. I've been composting for a couple of years now and get the best results from this method and running the compost through a one quarter inch screen before adding to the garden.

Thanks...Im guessing the more oxygen/aeration, the better? How often should I feed my plants the finished compost? Can to much compost burn peppers and veggies?

it might... i had made a batch that i thought didnt go well.. i then added that compost to make some TEA...and it looked like it burnt /killing my asian pear... will update this with photo...

dennniz

Are you making hot compost or cold? You can do it either way but only the hot will kill weed seeds, etc.
I turn mine every couple of days. You also have to keep it moist but not wet, about like a wrung out sponge.
Mine gets pretty warm but much of my brown and green items are put through my shredder which breaks them down to about 1/4" pieces which facilitates faster break down by beneficial bacteria.

Not that I am perfect on this but,, you turn the compost only when it cools down and needs more air. Stick a soil thermometer in it and keep the pile moist (after making it with the correct brown and green ratio), then turn when the temp comes down. Per Steve Solomon.

If you have just started the pile i suggest leaving it a while first.... until you get some of the benificial bacterias breaking it down... the whitish steaming stuff in the middle is a good thing... once you get the composting process happening thats when i start churning. and unfortunately due to being busy only happens for me every couple weeks. But once it starts you can spread the love to the rest of the pile. If it doesnt stink... you're doing it right.

hope that remotely helped, cheers

Back