• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

questions about growing

This is my first year doing true seed start for peppers. My main interest is super hots but who doesn't love growing some jalapenos too?

I usually plant two seeds per pod and sometimes both sprout. I just moved and this property has sand/clay basically for dirt so I've been using big pots or buying dirt to plant. When both grow should I leave it like that and move into the 7 gallon pots? Or kill one? I'd prefer to split apart but idk how to pull that off without damage.

I have more questions but this is all I can think of right now. Thanks for reading :)

If you're concerned about damaging them, which is highly possible when separating seedlings, leave them together and plant them in a 10 gallon pot. 7 might work, too, but bigger would give them the best chance to thrive. Remember, they'll need twice the nutes as they grow.

I kill one usually but sometimes I leave them together(usually they fuse together with age). If it's the only one of that type I'll try to separate them very carefully (doesn't always work).

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I've been using this bio dome that comes with biodegradable sponge pods and the germination is doing pretty well. I'm going to plant some more tomorrow in original soil pods.

I'm dying to get these super hots going!

Also is there any way I can get a couple big pepper plants out of some huge buckets without falling apart or should I just cut it open?

Plastic buckets? Just lay it on its side and roll it around with your knee, squeezing the plastic. Should come right out

If they've got good roots, then it should be fine. If you try to yank them early, then expect them to fall apart a bit... but it still shouldn't hurt them if they're that big and established. Might I ask why?

I planted seed last year not really putting much effort into it. The winter here in north florida was extremely cold so I didn't put much work into it.

A few plants emerged and in two buckets. There are three individual (same type) plants growing in one bucket and once you observe it you know it's being stunted.
Also thanks Runescape, those threads are useful.

You'd be surprised how resilient they are when it comes to separating them. They might flop over for a day or two, but usually will perk right back up after the initial shock.

If truly worried, the best method for separation is probably soaking the rootball int water until the dirt falls away and slowly working them apart, however I have pulled a root ball part as is and they survived just fine.

That said, I usually kill one.

Honestly I plant 4-5 seeds per solo cup and kill off the weak once they've started developing their second set of leaves, leaving just one. In the past, I have taken those tiny little extra seedlings with tiny little roots and put them on their own due to feeling guilty for killing them off. Keeping a few together will stunt growth, better to have one big strong plant than two mediocre plants. 

I simply wet the dirt in the plastic cup (I am using plastic cups), well wet, and pull the peppers. For sure some parts of roots will broke, at least for one of them, but will recover, no problem. Don't have to be too brutal, separate them gently, not to broke the entire root.
Could stay together too, in my area in fact people are planting like this, in the garden, because the peppers will support each other. OK, people are growing annuums, but still use this system, with 2 plants together.

I have two or more come up together I just leave them alone. I have never had a problem doing it this way. Leave them be and they will be just fine.

Back