• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Questions for Canadian, Scandinavian, Alaskan, etc. growers

Problem: cooler temps and midnight sun during summer

I'll be doing tests next season with C. pubescens to see if they tend to produce a little better than the other species that I've seen up here.  It seems that the first season plants of C. chinense and C. baccatum have some trouble with blooming during summer.  I have yet to try it with older plants but I have 6 second and third year plants that I'm working with right now so I can make observations.  Alaska is well known for growing some world record setting vegetables (believe it or not) but the midnight sun can be disruptive to the root system growth and bloom patterns for tropical nightshades like tomatoes and obviously peppers. 

Have you noticed that a certain species over the others tends to tolerate cooler summers and the midnight sun better?  I'm only assuming (probably because I read it somewhere) that C. pubescens will be more tolerant but it may be false...not sure.  I'll also be trying it with a couple of wilds like C. eximium and C. chacoense

Are there any tricks other than indoor growing that allow for successful blooming and production of first year plants?

The soil is obviously very fertile (and loaded with nutritious volcanic ash here on the Kenai Peninsula)... but is the kind of arctic soils I'm dealing with conducive to growing peppers?

Connecticut grower here, but we have a very similar climate to most of Scandinavia. It's actually a bit cooler than Stockholm here. Temps in the summer are fine for me, but it does take longer to get plants to full size. As for the midnight sun, Soldotna shouldn't be experiencing any of that, because it's too far south. I think you should be fine.

I'm in Quesnel, BC, and don't have nearly the cold you get up in Alaska, but I have had some decent success after switching to coco and hydroponic like grow systems. I had tried overwintering plants (Trinidad Scorpions), but never managed to grow anything that could produce a) a decent sized pod, or b) produce anything close to being hot, let alone a superhot when trying to grow in soil.

I start early and use a fairly balanced fertilizer regiment. I also have a 180W LED setup. Seems to get things growing decent enough so that I can grow Scorpions, Jolokia's, Bhutlah's and Bonnets within my short 90 day season.

Neil

cruzzfish said:
Connecticut grower here, but we have a very similar climate to most of Scandinavia. It's actually a bit cooler than Stockholm here. Temps in the summer are fine for me, but it does take longer to get plants to full size. As for the midnight sun, Soldotna shouldn't be experiencing any of that, because it's too far south. I think you should be fine.
I was here in June for vacation, it certainly does have around 22-23 hours of daylight and the other 2 hours are twilight, it never truly gets dark until August.  Connecticut is a very big difference from Alaska.

I'm in Örebro, Sweden, and I don't think I'm north enough for midnight sun, at it's peak we get a little over 18 hours of sunlight in summer, and maybe a little of that twilight stage. We do get a few hours of night though. It's only my first year growing, and a bad year to start due to the weather this year from what I've heard, so it would not be fair of me to make any conclusions. I did have trouble with most of my chinenses not setting any pods, annuums did however do fairly well. 

I am looking forward to reading your observations though, please keep us posted.

Helvete said:
I was here in June for vacation, it certainly does have around 22-23 hours of daylight and the other 2 hours are twilight, it never truly gets dark until August.  Connecticut is a very big difference from Alaska.
If it gets dark at all, it should work. Failing that, chuck a shade cloth over things. In the summer here we have about 4 hours twilight and 4 actually dark, but my plants are under lights as it is. Temperature wise, it would be bad to ask Scandinavians because CT is colder.

Back