• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Quezada's Glog 2014 (noob grow)

• Strains: 7pot Jonah, 7Pot Douglah, Carolina Reaper (Refining Fire Chiles)
  • Sown: 01/08/14
  • Germed:1/21-2/23
  • Housing: Secret Jardin Dr90T (dark room 90 twin)
  • Lighting: Sunblaze 24, T5 HO fluorescent fixture
  • Medium: Black Gold seedling mix, Worm Gold Plus (castings)
  • Nutrients: Boogie Brew (compost tea 1- 2.6 -2.5), SEA-90 (trace sea minerals), Azos(xtreme gardening N fixing bacteria), Kelp4less Endo Humic blend (80%humic acid and 20%  endo-mycorrhizae) Pure Protein fish fertilizer  (15-1-1 soluble powder)
  • Total plants: 3 Jonah, 2 Douglah, 5 Carolina Reaper [Pellet plants not included. Idk if they'll be ready this season (except the Serranos they'll be good to go.) but maybe overwinters?]
bYR8eIv.jpg

7pot Jonahs: Don't know why these seem to be the most resilient of the bunch. Idk whats going on with the distorted new growth. And the black spots on the leaves of the one to the right? Disease?
B3xGjWy.jpg

7pot Douglahs: I'm pretty concerned with these two because of the strange curl of the leaves. Mottling? plus the leaf discoloration/ patterns.
jTmMjNf.jpg

Carolina Reapers: Couple of these got a bit leggy...(ok, pretty leggy, is it worth saving?) The one on the far right has a tip of new growth rotting or something. Whats going on with this?
oPk1bhq.jpg

The grouping of 2 pellets are 1: Carolina Reaper and 2: 7pot Douglahs.
Grouping of 4: All Serranos
NYmUISQ.jpg

Good start.  My reapers got leggy too - repotted them up to the leaves.  I'm given to understand that chilies only tolerate being buried deep until they begin producing true leaves.  Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on this?  Anyway, with some light and wind they'll keep doing fine.  

Keep up the good work.  Also, did you build the table?

unk3390 said:

Keep up the good work.  Also, did you build the table?
Thank you man, and yes it's just pvc and some of that reflector stuff. I forgot what its called...about 8 bucks at home depot though.

Nice setup. The secret Jardin tents are nice. I think you are keeping your plants way to dry. That is why you are seeing very little growth with distorted leaves and colors. Try raising the t5 about 8 inches higher and move the fan to the roof of the tent. I think that is part of the reason they are drying out to fast. Keep them moist but not wet. Might want to invest in a moisture meter. Hope you get it sorted out soon. If you need any help just ask. Glad you made a Glog. Keep us updated with the good pics.

Sm1nts2escape said:
Nice setup. The secret Jardin tents are nice. I think you are keeping your plants way to dry. That is why you are seeing very little growth with distorted leaves and colors. Try raising the t5 about 8 inches higher and move the fan to the roof of the tent. I think that is part of the reason they are drying out to fast. Keep them moist but not wet. Might want to invest in a moisture meter. Hope you get it sorted out soon. If you need any help just ask. Glad you made a Glog. Keep us updated with the good pics.
You have a good point (lol how did I mess up on something as simple as water?? haha.) Moisture meter for the soil? Or do you mean like a hygrometer?  And alrite I'll raise the light. It's a high output t5 6500k but I'm not too sure if that really means much since I've heard people say fluoros aren't too potent.

Thanks for the help man, rest assured I'll definitely ask.

The light you have is a good light and better than a regular florescent. I have the same thing in my smaller tent pretty much (24" 6 bulb t5). Make sure to move that fan too. I have the same size fan in my 3x6x6.6 dr150w tent and it is located at the roof of the tent pointing straight down to the floor. I keep it on the low setting so it just wiggles the leaves and they love it.

You can buy one of these at your local homedepot. They cost about 10 bux.
$_57.JPG

Don't chuck the leggy ones! Can pot up, up to the cotys, when ready. Once they're woody they won't root. Before that they will. Just takes time.

Peat pots as mentioned are waaaay to dry. The pot itself will wick water away from the medium.  They should never appear bone dry, more of a damp and fragile look. I'd fill the tray with water and when pots pots feel heavy (after 20 min) pour the remaining water into a different tray or dispose of.  Sounds like your medium is loaded with the good stuff...........plain water might be the key, and most important the peat pots could actually use a pot up into a larger container. Make sure you break away the exsisting peat pot while wet....it can inhibit new root growth when dryed out.

@ Aaron riot: Sweet, thank you man. I noticed the leggy ones already look a tad bit woody, and are pretty stiff...bad sign eh?

@PIC 1: Thank you for the advice friend, watering them right now. Also I have a question. I noticed there is black mold growing in spots on the peat pots. Should I be worried? and if so what should I do? Transfer the to new pots? solo cups maybe?

+1 on 10!

I've been using the peat pots, and this is the last year. As soon as they stand up I trim the netting away and put them in solo cups, or any suitable pot. What I don't like about them is they stay around the base and cling, acting as a wet spot when watered.

Next year I have to find a seed starting mix, gonna have to read ;)

Alright guys, I've up-potted the little guys into Solo cups. I'll be having pictures up soon probably by tomorrow night. I just got tired of the peat cups with the wicking, moldy spots, and the smaller size, plus I'd assume they'll last wet longer since these cups are plastic.

Photos coming tomorrow.

- Quezada

Back