• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Quick germ question

So I allowed a few of the 6 packs to dry out in my one germination tray...I don't know if they were bone dry, but they were pretty light when I picked them up to water them.

Now I've read on here how allowing the germ medium to dry out can inhibit/stop the germinating process, so my question is:

Should I plant additional seeds to compensate, or is there a chance they'll rebound and germ fine? Some of the packs were slightly dried out but not as bad as others. The ones that were slightly dried out have a few hooks, the other packs that were pretty dry have no signs of germination yet.

We're talking anuums planted 4/1. So exactly a week at this point. Regulated heat mat at 85 degrees. Planting additional seeds now would give me a little under 8 weeks until plant out on 6/1.

Thanks guys!

It never hurts to start more seeds, unless you dont have enough seeds of course!. So, if you can spare the seeds I'd start some more seeds. To answer your question about the seeds drying out, I'm sure it would depend on how dry and for how long. Example if bone dry and no water for a week, the seeds are toast.

You could dig up a seed and take a look at it...if the germination process started and the seedling broke through the seed itself but then dried out I would think it isn't good anymore. If you have enough seeds you might want to plant some more to be safe.

Back