• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Quick question for you growers.

Well, as of a few weeks ago I am out of Bhut's that I kept from last year from my friends grow for salsa that I love to make and share, and I find myself staring at my plants that I have growing this year wishing them to grow faster :) Doesn't seem to be working though lol. Anyway as for my question, I am wondering how long I have to maybe start seeing some harvest-able pods from my plants? I will list what I am growing and about how far along they are in size, and just in case, in advance, please forgive my ignorance if this is an question that can not really be answered with the information I am giving.

I have 2 Bhut Jolokia's, 1 about a foot tall, the other maybe 14 inches, both just over the past few days showing a few flowers but lots of flower pods.

2 Trinidad Scorpions, both "were" bushy and about 7 or 8 inches tall, but I think I lost both of those so not sure if it would help to know how much longer I would have had to wait on those.

2 Black Stingers, they are only about 4 inches tall or so with 3 sets of true leaves.

2 Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah same size as the Black Stingers.

2 Naga Morich Same size again.

3 Carolina Reapers About 4 inches tall or so with 4 sets of true leaves.

Once again I apologize if this really can not be answered, I am just gnawing at the bit for more super hot salsa lol. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Reverend Michael Massey

Most of those will have about a 120 time period before you can harvest pods from them. The super hots are really slow growers and they take their precious time making our favorite parts! So take the days you planted them and add 120 days!

Weather here has been insane, went from 30's to 80's to 40's then massive thunderstorms with 80's,( and lets not forget the frost we had 2 days ago I think ) all within a matter of days really. I am amazed it didn't kill any of my plants I already had in the ground. Everything in pots has been moved in and out like crazy to protect them as much as I can of course. My Roma's should be ready in a week or so and my Velencia's look like I could pull some any time really. Just going to be waiting for my peppers :) So best case scenario I am looking at 4 to 6 weeks to make some salsa. Thats if there are no setbacks with the Bhuts as they are furthest along. They need to grow faster lol

Another thing I need to learn this year is how to figure out how much of each super hot I need to start growing each year to keep me and my friends and family going the whole year. I never would have thought gardening could pull me in like this but super hots have got me addicted in a crazy way. Now I just need to teach myself some patience but man am I missing salsa lol.

Thanks again everyone who responded.

Reverend Michael Massey

Arkennon said:
Weather here has been insane, went from 30's to 80's to 40's then massive thunderstorms with 80's,( and lets not forget the frost we had 2 days ago I think ) all within a matter of days really. I am amazed it didn't kill any of my plants I already had in the ground. Everything in pots has been moved in and out like crazy to protect them as much as I can of course. My Roma's should be ready in a week or so and my Velencia's look like I could pull some any time really. Just going to be waiting for my peppers :) So best case scenario I am looking at 4 to 6 weeks to make some salsa. Thats if there are no setbacks with the Bhuts as they are furthest along. They need to grow faster lol

Another thing I need to learn this year is how to figure out how much of each super hot I need to start growing each year to keep me and my friends and family going the whole year. I never would have thought gardening could pull me in like this but super hots have got me addicted in a crazy way. Now I just need to teach myself some patience but man am I missing salsa lol.

Thanks again everyone who responded.

Reverend Michael Massey

Welcome to the dark side :fireball: :onfire:

I planted jan 9th and im just starting to get ripe pods. That's only on a couple plants btw. I have tons of flowers so it shouldn't be long! When did you sow your seed?

I sowed my 2 Bhut's close to the begining of February, so i am guessing 4 to 6 more weeks for my first ripe pods if I am lucky.

Reverend Michael Massey

Arkennon said:
I sowed my 2 Bhut's close to the begining of February, so i am guessing 4 to 6 more weeks for my first ripe pods if I am lucky.

Reverend Michael Massey
I feel your pain! Waiting is such a drag but they will set pods. Then you have to wait for them to ripen. Lol

Back