Quinoa

Quinoa? Sounds like....kung fu. I've been eating the stuff for years. Cook mine in chicken stock, add some sauteed fine diced onion, mushroom, minced garlic.. and of course chili's...top with some green onion...tres bon! Good stuff!

Cheers, TB.

worlok said:
Also, every time I pronounce it kin-oh-ah, my wife angrily corrects me and says it's called KEEN-wah. :rolleyes:

And I've been pronouncing it kwin-oh-ah. Lol apparently not even close

What's that old saying? "something badass by another name is just as badass"

So, any body tried stuffing peppers with quinoa yet? I was mulling the possibilities, but I'm thinking it's taste would be a little too earthy for most cheeses., but I'm not sure what else would be a good binder.

C'mon Texas Blues, surely you've already figured this out so I don't have to experiment!

I haven't stuffed peppers with it... but I know saffron and quinoa go well together. Maybe some pork, eggs, saffron, onion, garlic, parsley etc. as a stuffing blend?

I learned about it when I lived in Sedona, AZ. It's pretty popular with that crowd. On its own its pretty plain, but its a great vehicle for hot sauces. I also used it to make a cold salad with quinoa, scallion, tomato, green and red bell peppers, onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

Thanatopsis said:
I learned about it when I lived in Sedona, AZ. It's pretty popular with that crowd. On its own its pretty plain, but its a great vehicle for hot sauces. I also used it to make a cold salad with quinoa, scallion, tomato, green and red bell peppers, onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

Ok, yeah, that sounds good, too.

*makes notes*

I couldn't get a hold of any saffron last week, so I sort of made a tabbouleh-type salad with quinoa instead of Bulgar wheat. I chopped parsley, cilantro, tomato, green onions, a sweet yellow pepper, and one of the last pilange peppers I'll get off my over wintered plant, added the quinoa, then tossed it with lime juice and olive oil. It worked pretty well.

lostmind said:
it sounds good Pam.

I love fresh cilantro on anything. :)

Yeah, I've been really getting into the fresh cilantro lately. It tastes really good to me right now, to the point I'm craving it some.

On David Lynch's release of "INLAND EMPIRE", there is an extra on the second disc where he cooks some quinoa and tells a story. Apparently he's a fan. He likes to put Braggs in his and have it with Broccoli. Very Healthy!

Back