• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rabbit Manure...50lb feeed sack...s/f?

About how many square feet would a 50lb feed sack of rabbit manure cover? I'm speaking of prepping a raised bed 4-6 weeks prior to plant out. No aggressive tilling, but maybe work the manure into the top 4" with a hand tool.

I'm no expert, but I say buy and apply as much as you can afford. Rabbit manure does not need to be composted, the worms and micro herd love it. Ultimately, your plants will benefit from the poo sooner than you think.

Agree with the above and if the rabbits have been eating alfalfa you have some very good compost there. ;)
50# is probably only 1 cu ft or so but I am guessing as I don't have any to compare it to. 
Giving it 4-6 weeks is also beneficial as it gives the soil food web time to do it's work.

Not really the type of answer I'm looking for, no offense. Let's try this, would a single 50lb feed sack of rabbit manure adequately amend a 6x20 raised bed? It's not a matter of buying all I can afford. I can get all I want FREE, if I want to break my arthritic back shoveling it off the ground into my truck. On the other hand, if 1 or 2 bags would cover both my raised beds, at $8 per bag, it might not be worth the pain of shoveling.

How Much Poop?
As a soil conditioner, generally you can use 50 pounds of composted rabbit manure per 100 square feet of garden. That's about a bag or two of purchased composted manure. If applying composted rabbit manures to existing beds that are already very fertile, a 1- to 2-inch thick layer is probably sufficient. On poor soils, double that amount.

Okay, thanks. Let me throw one more question into the mix. How does alfalfa meal compare with rabbit manure as a soil amendment? That stuff runs $22 per 80lb sack. That's a great value, I think.

Back