Raccoon Problem - Need Suggestions

We have raccoon, bob cat, possum, armadillo, probably some horribly venomous snakes that people set free, some lizards that might be dinosaurs, alligators, rabbits, and I still manage a garden without having to kill, shoot, drown, maim, stalk, molest, harass, write a strongly worded letter too, or otherwise bother the wildlife. :) 

Koreansoul said:
You people are violent. It's just an animal looking for food. He didn't say he was on his porch, saw his pepper plant moving, and when he approached the plant, a rabid raccoon jumped on his face and ripped his right ear off. Then while he was screaming and bleeding on the ground it ripped all the pepper plants out of their pots, flicked him off, and told him it would be back. You guys are at a 10. Take a deep breath and bring it down a few levels. 
not violent at all. what is violent when a racoon breaks into your chicken coop and kills a whole weeks worth of food in one night.   but i guess next time ill have a talking with the raccoon ;)

they are pests and on private property you have a right to manage your property as you see fit. this is america still isnt it? i dont run around killing things but when i have a chose between eating chicken and chicken eggs,or let the racoons run around destroying everything. im going to pick the chose that ends up with me being full.
what about feral pigs running around on my property digging,rooting and taring up land that i need to feed cows. when a $900.00 calf goes down because of some stupid hole that a pig made i guess oh well?   im out that weeks pay is that ok?     so what suggestions would you people give me that have a problem with killing things?  let me guess the pigs are just looking for food so i should let them tear up my property and cost me money?

ColdSmoke said:
When racoons try to get on our back porch, Momma just chase em off with a broom.

beerbreath81 said:

Real mature :D

Have you tried peeing off your deck porch in the area the come from, AKA marking your territory? Not sure if it's a legitimate deterrent, but it's worth a shot and it's fun and saves water. It seemed to work when we had raccoon in our fish pond. FISH pond FISH emulsion. 

They love FISH up her e in New England! Years a go when I was a kid slepping out at the pond with 'da boyz, we were top water popping for largemouth, caught some nice ones and put em on a stringer and left it in the water. The next morning the fish were gone and Raccoon tracks all over the place. Bastards.

Woodchucks are the modern enemy up here!

Electric fences work great - harmless shock that deters them for some time.  Expensive to set up but very effective.  Trapping it will only open up the territory for another to move in - buys you time but might not solve the problem.  We have some many up here in Toronto I cannot put bone meal or anything that smells into my pots because they will be turned upside down.  Just last night the fuckers raided a couple sparrows nests...

Me personally i would use that as an opprotunity to practice with my bow. Make myself a nice hat. but aside from that if that isnt your thing. i agree with those that say animal control or trap it yourself.

Back