• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Radiant heat

Anyone here have any experience with it?

We put it in the slab we poured for our building and now I am wondering if I am going to be able to grow peppers through the winter??

It is going to be awhile before it is finished, so I am just dreaming here, so does anyone know the answer?

I don't have all of the specifics of the system, but can get it.

Thanks

yes, you'll be able to grow chiles in containers right on the slab of concrete, providing you have the light for them. the heat coming from the floor wont hurt them (might even be better for them vs a slab of concrete w/o infloor heat) UNLESS you plan on having the temps 90 degrees +

Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear :) Guess I will have to invest in some lights before long.

I can't remember how many zones I will have for this building (60' x 104'), but I will be able to adjust accordingly for the pepper area :) .

Yes, when ever I eat peppers I have this radiant heat in my mouth. You should be no different................................................ ;)

Maximum fluid temperature in radiant floors is from 95-105F in general which will give a slab-surface temperature of approx 100F on the coldest day.

This assumes that the underfloor and foundation are adequately insulated.

I would put some sort of plastic sheeting over them. In illinois you are going to get some ice storms etc. They will need a little more than radiant heat.

cheezydemon said:
I would put some sort of plastic sheeting over them. In illinois you are going to get some ice storms etc. They will need a little more than radiant heat.

I am not sure I understand this, unless you think this will just be a heated slab exposed to the elements?

It is a heated slab/floor that will have a 60W x 104L x 16H building on top of it... I am hoping no ice will be get in. This is a house with a huge 'L' shaped garage.

I should have stated that in the original post.

Here it is in the works...

1002790ue7.jpg

I dont know if you'll have room to grow chiles in that little shed ;):lol:

I see you moved out of the city & moved into the country :cool: did this property have a house on it already or you building a house latter ?

This is at my g/f's parents farm. That shed :) is going to have a 2,700 sq ft house & the 4440 sq ft garage all in one :) The entire floor for all of it is heated :)

Nice...im impressed..My buddy built his garage(buisness)using that...lemme tell ya it saves alot of sore backs in the winter laying on your back on cold pavement

so this is her parents shed/house ? hope its close enough drive to check on the plants or rig up a setup with timers & everything for water/light.

thats the cheapest way to build a house (using shed style) but resale value is low but thats because some people want a house to look like a house, but if it has acreage then who really cares!
so how many acres ? did they buy all crop field or does it have some woods ?

are they getting a outdoor wood burning furnance ? they save alot on propane costs for wintertime

chilehunter said:
so this is her parents shed/house ? hope its close enough drive to check on the plants or rig up a setup with timers & everything for water/light.

thats the cheapest way to build a house (using shed style) but resale value is low but thats because some people want a house to look like a house, but if it has acreage then who really cares!
so how many acres ? did they buy all crop field or does it have some woods ?

are they getting a outdoor wood burning furnance ? they save alot on propane costs for wintertime

This is our house. Her parents gave us some land to build this. It is sitting on 220 acres with maybe 150 or so tillable that her dad farms himself. The timber has miles and miles of ATV trails that he made and maintains.

No need to worry about resale, so no problems there.

We will be heating the entire place with a Central Boiler with a dual fuel option. We have a lifetime of free firewood, but a propane backup just in case.

Back