• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed Raised bed gardening with concrete stones

Hardware cloth? I have'nt heard of it before, I'll go find out today. Thanks,

Dave

no offense to siliman, but I don't think the hardware cloth is fine enough mesh to prevent roots...best bet is the weed cloth wrapped around the plastic french drain pipe...your main goal should be to prevent root growth into the french drain pipe which stops it up

I'm not just blowin' smoke here...I am speaking from the voice of experience...

Hardware cloth? I have'nt heard of it before...
I found some in the Home Depot same area as chicken wire. Like I said, very similar products only smaller mesh...and more expensive, of course... :cool:

no offense to siliman, but I don't think the hardware cloth is fine enough mesh to prevent roots...
Heck yea, I totally agree with that! I mentioned it for use only in conjuction with the weed cloth-- As in placed in the bottom of the bed--layer of weed cloth for the Bermuda, layer of hardward cloth for the moles.

Just not sure which layer would be better on top. Also not sure how it would play out with the drainage he has in mind.

I found some in the Home Depot same area as chicken wire. Like I said, very similar products only smaller mesh...and more expensive, of course... :cool:

Heck yea, I totally agree with that! I mentioned it for use only in conjuction with the weed cloth-- As in placed in the bottom of the bed--layer of weed cloth for the Bermuda, layer of hardward cloth for the moles.

Just not sure which layer would be better on top. Also not sure how it would play out with the drainage he has in mind.

I found the hardware cloth, it's EXACTLY what I think would work. The dang moles better have tough teeth to get through that.

I will be using weed cloth on top of this, with both of them being on top of a couple inches of gravel to aid in drainage. My soil is hard clay here that the homebuilder put sod over, makes for a pretty lawn, just tough to grow anything else in without mega help.

I bought all the brick today! My poor dodge pickup was bottomed out with the weight. I was lucky enough to drop one of the 20lb bricks on my toe as soon as I started to unload. :eek: Not broken I think. I guess this will add to my memories of the first superhot season.

Anyhow, by the time I had moved all the brick and 600lbs of gravel to the back yard I went to the option of sitting down and drinking some Sam Adams Irish Red. :beer: This feels particularly like the right thing to do now. Tomorrow I will begin the actual diggings.

Thanks AJ and Siliman for helping me to work this out, you both will have made some jolokia and a variety of Trinidads happier.

I shall endeavor to drink a beer to both your names this evening. :cheers:

Dave

yw....everytime someone says jolokia...i cringe...what kind...jolokia just means pepper

Don't cringe, it's just the ones I have experience with and get forgetful to be specific. Bhuts, yellow, red, and chocolate.

Thanks again for the help, I'll post pictures of the garden in a different forum after I finish it this week.

Enjoy the work week,

Dave

Back