• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Raised Bed Soil and Transplant Hole Food

No I'm not saying that all, adding organic matter/compost and supplying nutrients is a good idea, but mix it in to the whole thing or at least the top few inches. Don't make a special planting hole filled with some medium that is different than the surrounding medium, e.g. don't make a hole filled with potting mix, peat, compost or whatever to put the plant in or you'll run into the types of problems mentioned in that article.

If using bone meal I would be careful not to add too much. Phosphorus is highly reactive and locks up very easily, plants can't use most of what's applied to the soil, I've seen figures as high as 95% being unavailable. So if you keep applying heavy amounts it's going to accumulate and accumulate since it's not water soluble. If the pH is over 7.0, then all of the phosphorus from the bone meal gets locked out. Mycorrhizal fungi help plants uptake phosphorus among other things, but excess phosphorus in the soil inhibits their growth.

Fair enough on all accounts. When I prepare the soil for planing, I make sure I mix it throughout the growing area, you're right about the bathtub effect. Amending only in the immediate area you're planting inhibits growth in the long term, and possibly worsens conditions in the short term (in a raised bed setting, it's a good idea to loosen the soil where the raised bed is going, if applicable, for the same reasons).

When I say a healthy amount of bone meal, I mean a light dusting in the bottom of the planting hole (usually less than a tablespoon), which is then mixed in the surrounding soil before adding another light layer of dirt and finally the plant itself. And this is usually only when I prepare a bed for the first time- in subsequent years the soil doesn't need as much amendment for the most part. I just loosen it a bit and plant as usual.

Tilling your bed year after year and adding more fertilizer just causes organic material to be broken down faster. You will need to add new organic material occasionally, but the rate of application is exacerbated by over-fertilizing. Many of the nutrients should already be bioavailable to plants, possibly with some light additional ferts when the plants need them.

Honestly I am leaning more and more to just going into the ground, vice the raised bed. I have about 400 sq ft that I can plant into, and if I choose that I can just go with 4 20'x4' rows with about 4'spacing. But that is another thread.

Based on your response, and the article, it would be smarter to ammend the whole plot vice the planting hole. Now would tilling the additives into the soil be sufficient?

Also, if anyone has experience I have my soil report and would love some feedback.

There are 4 samples all from the same area (within 400 sq ft). I ripped out my raised beds after the growing season and spread the used soil around the yard to make the area flat. The samples are from right under where each bed was (L 4X4, R 4X4), the yard that was untouched right next to the plot (E Yard), and finally in betwen the beds where I just mulched (mulch). For the money, it may just be easier to go into the ground in rows, and spend the extra money on additives and booze....

Like I said, if you can understand this any feedback would be great!
Soil.jpg

When I say a healthy amount of bone meal, I mean a light dusting in the bottom of the planting hole (usually less than a tablespoon), which is then mixed in the surrounding soil before adding another light layer of dirt and finally the plant itself. And this is usually only when I prepare a bed for the first time- in subsequent years the soil doesn't need as much amendment for the most part. I just loosen it a bit and plant as usual.

Used like that it's probably a useful additive. A lot of people use it in containers too, but I don't think it's very useful in potting mix, since it requires soil microorganisms to break it down and make the nutrients available, and there probably aren't very many in most people's potting mixes. :think:

Whatever your raised bed blend, make sure it drains well. I plan to add a mega boat load of perlite to last year's bed, which has lots of organic material in it now.

For the tomato and peppers transplant hole, I put in Dr Earth, maybe 1/2-cup. It has lots of groovy organic ingredients. DrEarth fert
I'll probably use it in my containers also.

If your raised bed is touching the ground, the ground will act as a wick increasing drainage. You still need fairly well drained soil mix, but it doesn't have to drain as well as in pots due to the wicking action. That is why you can still mix in some native soil, which is something you would never do in a pot.

Back