• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed Raised Bed

I plan on building a decent sized raised bed for next season. My question is how far apart should I put the plants from each other? I don't want to completely overcrowd them but allow just enough room. Is there anything I need to do with the soil from season to season to prepare it for the next grow? I plan on using a 50% compost / 50% sand and local dirt mix to fill the bed from a local composting source for 27$ a cubic yard. Any advice and suggestions on raised beds will be greatly appreciated !

-J

I have 4' x 8' raised beds and put 2 rows of 6 plants, for a total of 12 plants in each. I guess that works out to 16" spacing, and that seems to work pretty well. Last year I put in 3 rows of 7 plants, and that was way overcrowded.

As far as the soil prep, just till in some new compost every fall and let it mellow over the winter. It will be good to go in the spring.

I plan on building a decent sized raised bed for next season. My question is how far apart should I put the plants from each other? I don't want to completely overcrowd them but allow just enough room. Is there anything I need to do with the soil from season to season to prepare it for the next grow? I plan on using a 50% compost / 50% sand and local dirt mix to fill the bed from a local composting source for 27$ a cubic yard. Any advice and suggestions on raised beds will be greatly appreciated !

-J

I'd recommend adding lime or gypsum at least once per season. I think they both serve the same purpose but lime may raise the soil ph and gypsum won't. I don't think the effects are immediate, so adding them in the fall and tilling in may work better.

I have a 4x10 and 3x10 only add compost every year. plant in 12" sq or 40 and 30 plants works for me. three years ago when I filled the beds I used 1/3 compost, 1/3 coco, 1/3 vermiculite, works good

Thanks for the info guys. Gives me a better idea of how I want to plan out the raised bed. I wanted to do one long bed, 20' L x 4' W x 12" H but I think I am going to create two separate ones. So far I won't have near enough room to put all of my plants for next season with the counts I have now haha, looks like I'll keep some going in 5 gal pots as well... can't forget the handful I want to keep in hydro as well.

-J

so many neat things you could do. 12 inch high bed is a tall one, so you will have lots of room for good soil.

Torno

Good choice with raised beds there is so many advantages, as I think you know I have a number of raised beds. Been growing in them for about 5 seasons now and traveled the road of hard knocks.

one, how close to plant depend significantly on the type of pepper you plant, bushy plants as apposed to tall slender. My circle raised beds are 6 foot across so area wise about about 27 square ft each.

Habs, butch t's, fatali's things of that nature about a dozen plants max, equaling just over 2 square feet each, jalapeƱos, Thai dragons, Czech blacks and carrots about 18 plants max, and I all so plant relatively close to the edges, maybe 4 or 5 inches. If you build them side by side a good amount of space between is nice, ask Tonly they literally engulf the walk ways.:)

Would be nice if you took some progress pics, this endeavor seems to be quite popular among the patrons here and a good resource for their ventures, Good Luck.

Cheers, SC

So, you live in TX?! You have many advantages!!!! Our season is super short - under snow for 4-5 months. But I have a friend here who composts directly into her raised beds (off season). Just chop the kitchen scraps smaller and till them right into the soil. They break down during the off season, even when covered w/ snow and frozen. Probably not a problem in your neck of the woods. If you do grow all year long, just process your scraps into a mulch and till it in around your plants! It provides great fiber (for water retention) and tons of readily available nutrients. If you buy garden soil, make sure it's been sterilized or you might inherit weed seeds. I made that mistake once - and it's not the wimpy weeds you inherit! So...do you have an 'off' season there?

When I make my raised beds I add lime first on top of my acidic clay soil. I then put weed block,
then compost, peat moss and vermiculite. If you soil is not acidic, then use gypsum.

I'd say allow 18 inches for spacing, and nothing less than 12. I have a nice 4 foot wide raised bed that feels perfect for two rows of pepper and 3 drip lines. Its also really nice to throw a bunch of compostable material on the bottom off season so it is ready to go in the spring.

These are the best all around plans I've seen. I get the cuts done at the store and all you need to do is dig, drill and screw. Less than 1hr per unless the spot needs a lot of prep.

http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/ultimate-raised-bed-how-to-00400000011938/

... My question is how far apart should I put the plants from each other? I don't want to completely overcrowd them but allow just enough room. Is there anything I need to do with the soil from season to season to prepare it for the next grow? I plan on using a 50% compost / 50% sand and local dirt mix to fill the bed from a local composting source for 27$ a cubic yard.... -J
I think you would benefit from tight spacing since you face periods of HotTexas Wx. Maybe 12-inch for annums and 18-inch for the bushier varieties. Shoot for overlapping canopies, especially since you are going with only one row, you might need the shade a clumping approach will provide. I like the idea mentioned of putting some of the plants within 4-inches of the edge, if it is okay to have the plants hang over the box.

I like lotsa perlite as an aid to drainage. Also peat moss to keep it airy--Pro Mix BX being one of the best. Add some manures in the Fall--composted chicken manure gets a lot of mention here. If you have some leaves, mow them up, compost them to add later, or just toss on top of the raised bed. This will help prevent weed seeds getting established, worms love leaf litter.

Check your soil Ph and consider getting it tested when you have all the tasty ingredients in the box. The analysis might reveal some additional nute needs.... :cool:

Back