• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Raised Beds vs In Ground and a Soil Question

I've been contemplating this for a while, but can't quite come to a conclusion - how exactly are raised beds different than a traditional garden? Most raised beds don't have a bottom, so wouldn't the roots eventually go in the ground anyways? I'm also seeing that many raised beds aren't too terribly deep, say 8" (two 4x4s stacked). Not sure of measurements, but would seem a 5 gallon pot has more depth for the roots, though obviously not as must horizontal growth... Am I missing something crucial?

For my soil question. I'll be transplanting from solo cups to 5 gallon fabric pots soon. I understand I want potting soil and not garden soil, but do I need the same variety that I am using in my cups now (Miracle Gro Organic)? Or am I fine using something different?

I'm no expert but raised beds and pots serve much the same purpose - better drainage, warmer root temps, less soil compaction, and better control over soil components. Cloth pots have the extra benefit of promoting root growth (less circling). The negatives of pots (and to a much lesser degree beds) is less water retention - and you have to stay on top of them during the really hot days. A lot of which you choose depends on where you live. When I lived in Portland, for instance, my peppers did the best in pots (warmest roots), decent in beds, but crumby in the ground (always wet, cold). This year I'm in Boise, and my house in on former farm land, so I'm going to try some in the ground (longer, warmer growing season). If you have optimum pepper growing conditions (which most of us don't), putting them in the ground would work just fine. 

MG would probably work fine. Most of us like to mix up our own soil (generally cheaper too). I like a blend of soil (peat moss), compost, vermiculite and perlite.

hottoddy said:
I'm no expert but raised beds and pots serve much the same purpose - better drainage, warmer root temps, less soil compaction, and better control over soil components. Cloth pots have the extra benefit of promoting root growth (less circling). The negatives of pots (and to a much lesser degree beds) is less water retention - and you have to stay on top of them during the really hot days. A lot of which you choose depends on where you live. When I lived in Portland, for instance, my peppers did the best in pots (warmest roots), decent in beds, but crumby in the ground (always wet, cold). This year I'm in Boise, and my house in on former farm land, so I'm going to try some in the ground (longer, warmer growing season). If you have optimum pepper growing conditions (which most of us don't), putting them in the ground would work just fine. 

MG would probably work fine. Most of us like to mix up our own soil (generally cheaper too). I like a blend of soil (peat moss), compost, vermiculite and perlite.
Hey man, I grew up in Tualatin! I live in Wilsonville now...

ColdSmoke said:
Hey man, I grew up in Tualatin! I live in Wilsonville now...

We were there for about 11 years (Ibach park area), but just moved to the Boise area. I already miss it a little bit (but not the rain).

fusedpro said:
I've been contemplating this for a while, but can't quite come to a conclusion - how exactly are raised beds different than a traditional garden? Most raised beds don't have a bottom, so wouldn't the roots eventually go in the ground anyways? I'm also seeing that many raised beds aren't too terribly deep, say 8" (two 4x4s stacked). Not sure of measurements, but would seem a 5 gallon pot has more depth for the roots, though obviously not as must horizontal growth... Am I missing something crucial?

For my soil question. I'll be transplanting from solo cups to 5 gallon fabric pots soon. I understand I want potting soil and not garden soil, but do I need the same variety that I am using in my cups now (Miracle Gro Organic)? Or am I fine using something different?
What zone are you in? What state?
Raised beds have the benefit of warming roots faster--and cooling faster. This has its ups & downs. In the Summer where I live (Middle TN) we have really hot humid weather. Having the beds up allows for them to cool off faster at night so that blossoms can form. Flowers won't survive or bloom when it's too hot at night or the average temp throughout the day is too high. 

You don't have to babysit your plants as much compared to containers, but it's tough to overwinter in a bed vs container. If you're in a colder climate, containers may be better because you can start your peppers earlier and enjoy a lil longer season...

I'd get some gardening soil from your local place, add some compost manure, and Jobe's Organic Vegetable. Some nurseries have awesome garden soils premixed with worm castings & an assortment. You can often sweep their pile for free!

Go to your local nursery and ask em to mix up a good raised bed mix--measure your bed before you go. Tell them what the measurements are--they'll hook you up. I'd ask for worm castings mix. This will save you a lot of research & time putting together your own soil....and save money.  

fusedpro said:

I think FarmerJones and Hottoddy are on point. The major difference is that raised beds give you total control over the components in your soil. There are generally no bottoms to raised beds which is great because it allows for a natural "soil food web inoculation" and by result, healthier organic soil. The absence of a bottom is also beneficial because it allows the compost and nutrients from your raised bed to leach out and be tilled into the soil below, slowly making the native soil better (that is, over time your 8" deep bed functionally increases in depth).

As to your question about a deep pot or a shallow raised bed, plants do not like to have their roots restricted at all. Experiments on tomatoes have shown a direct link between root elongation and leaf expansion (cited here: http://mro.massey.ac.nz/handle/10179/3004). That is to say; pots, overly compacted soil, overly rocky soil, etc. can cause root growth to slow down and negatively impact leaf/plant expansion. At some point, the pot size will become big enough to negate this effect but I believe 5 gallons is still too small. 

That being said, I think fabric pots might be the way to go because they promote root growth and potentially plant growth as well. Also, potted plants are better for when the weather takes a turn or if one of your plants becomes ill and you want to quarantine to prevent infecting its neighbors.

Any way you decide to go (in ground, raised beds, pots, fabric pots, etc.) THE most important thing to consider is the health and quality of your soil.

Good luck with your grow, Fused!

Back