• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raising peppers in pots

I've got 4 yellow bells, two in each pot, same type of container, same amount of watering, sun, so on. One pot is growing (albeit slowly) and green and healthy looking, while the other is yellowish, and rather unhealthy and about half the size. Any ideas on what could be done to help this?
Also, I'm attempting to raise a caribbean red for the first time in a pot, any tips?

just using black dirt at this point and no ferts yet, this is my first real attempt at it and am starting basic...

live in a duplex with a deck so pots are all I can do :)

Sounds like you may want to add some nitrogen

Im just hopping on the band wagon for worm casting tea. Buying all the stuff tomorrow.

Someone should chime in on a good nitrogen booster for a fast good dose

Half size plants should use half the water -- so might be over watering the one set if you are watering them both the same.

Half size plants should use half the water -- so might be over watering the one set if you are watering them both the same.

I'll start with that, any other ideas?
How much nitrogen should I add? Should I add to all my peppers? Jalapenos, poblanos, and the above mentioned caribbeans and bells

Well start with the light green ones. Do you know what type of nitrogen supplement your going to use?

I believe i read some uses alfalfa pellets which is like 8-0-0 (dont quote me on that)

I'd look at getting your plants into better soil. The sticky at the top of this forum is a good place to start reading. Plain black dirt is just that, plain. Peppers like well draining soil. chances are that if you are using topsoil you are drowning your roots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/v1334/IMG_20120626_090538.jpgK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/v1334/IMG_20120626_090604.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/v1334/IMG_20120626_090612.jpg

IMG_20120626_090612.jpg

IMG_20120626_090604.jpg

IMG_20120626_090538.jpg

Soil is too compacted, I'd add some peat moss but it's a bit late now... What you can do is dig out the plant with the roots for a few inches, then mix the moss into the remainder of the soil. At least then the compacted soil around the root ball will drain into the soil around it better. You might also mix in some coffee grounds and it'll add nitrogen too. Also from the plant shape it seems they might do better with more sun.

Do you have any drain holes in that at all? If not I would either A. make some or B. move into a container that does. Almost all plants need to have the water to be able to drain out so it just doesn't build up on the bottom. You can get fungus and all kinds of diseases if you don't. And when I say you I mean your peppers ;)

Where did you get the soil? ie, is it something you bought or is it native soil?
Definitely needs something to fluff it up. Roots need air.

all good advice above...as was said, your soil is too compact and really needs to be totally replaced IMO if you want good, healthy root growth...if you do keep that soil, I would use it as 20% component in another mixture...a good lightweight standard potting mix (not potting soil) mixed with your soil 80/20 would be good...if you use MG potting mix, just be careful and not overfertilize...

Back