Ramial Chipped Wood...Composted Pine Bark

I just read in the pinned "All about soil" article above, where composted pine bark has a high lignin content.  I remember that RCW from hard wood also has a high lignin content, which is what makes it such a fabulous mulch (just ask windchicken).  Anyway, if a guy can't source hard wood chips, might not composted pine bark be a suitable sub as a mulch?   

Composted pine bark

Composted pine bark. Its high lignin content makes it slow to degrade, so it nourishes beneficial organisms for months. Can be substituted in part for peat moss. Lightens the mix.

[SIZE=8pt]I have found composted pine bark and shredded pine bark to be excellent additives in a soil mix,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]It really loosens and aerates. Check out different sources I found significant variation in our area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]I make the bottom layer in my pots and bags shredded pine bark. When dumping pots from last season, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]I found heavy, healthy root growth at this bottom layer. I attribute it to good aeration and drainage..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]One negative is slugs love pine bark compost and mulch.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]But then again, slugs are like the deer around here – ‘they’re everywhere’ and want to eat EVERYTHING![/SIZE]

It's not just the lignin content that makes rcw what it is. Technically speaking rcw will support all of the plants nutrient needs over time where as pine bark will not. The bark has little to no nutrient content whereas rcw holds most of a plants nutrients and when decomposed will be readily available to our plants. But, like SanPatrico said it will help in aeration and drainage. But again, if you are using it as a top mulch that won't matter. But again again, any mulch is better than no mulch.

Using pine bark as RCW is not going to work.  Here is an excerpt from Laval University paper on using RCW:

"Coniferous trees, in cold and temperate climates, generate a blockage mechanism of soil pedogenesis. Their lignin, once into the soil, evolves in producing a great amount of polyphenolic inhibitors. This type of lignin is also found in many tropical tree species but high soil temperatures break the inhibitor effect to some extent. In cold and temperate climates, ramial wood from coniferous species must be avoided or restricted to 20% of the overall content. Coniferous trees are characterized by an asymetrical lignin (guaiacyl)."

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?id=69

So I'm just getting in to this toppic, but I live in a San Diego. Does anyone know of any warn climate trees that will do well for RCW?

We have lots of
Eucalyptus
Palm
Acacia
Avocado
citrus

I can get mixed for free from my local dump.http://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/miramar/greenery/woodchips.shtml

I hope this will work because I can load it for free, or pay 10$ for a Dozer to load it in to my truck as high as I want.

Natural wood chips and natural fine wood chips are made from large tree branches and logs.

treebranches.jpg
Tree Branches and Logs

naturalwoodchips.jpg
Natural Wood Chips

compmodder26 said:
Using pine bark as RCW is not going to work.  Here is an excerpt from Laval University paper on using RCW:

"Coniferous trees, in cold and temperate climates, generate a blockage mechanism of soil pedogenesis. Their lignin, once into the soil, evolves in producing a great amount of polyphenolic inhibitors. This type of lignin is also found in many tropical tree species but high soil temperatures break the inhibitor effect to some extent. In cold and temperate climates, ramial wood from coniferous species must be avoided or restricted to 20% of the overall content. Coniferous trees are characterized by an asymetrical lignin (guaiacyl)."[/size]

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?id=69
Thanks. I remember reading that, now. I may have to settle for a mix of chipped branches since pure hardwood has been impossible to source. I may still have to amend my soil come early Spring, but, I'm running out of options.

Cayennemist said:
So I'm just getting in to this toppic, but I live in a San Diego. Does anyone know of any warn climate trees that will do well for RCW?

We have lots of
Eucalyptus
Palm
Acacia
Avocado
citrus

I can get mixed for free from my local dump.http://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/miramar/greenery/woodchips.shtml

I hope this will work because I can load it for free, or pay 10$ for a Dozer to load it in to my truck as high as I want.

Should work, the main issue is to use young living branches.  That is where the nutrient content comes from.

Roguejim said:
Thanks. I remember reading that, now. I may have to settle for a mix of chipped branches since pure hardwood has been impossible to source. I may still have to amend my soil come early Spring, but, I'm running out of options.

Chipped branches are what you want.

millworkman said:
Should work, the main issue is to use young living branches.  That is where the nutrient content comes from.

Chipped branches are what you want.
Yeah, but I was under the impression that small branches from hard wood trees, in particular, are preferred. I know the guy in the movie Back To Eden didn't think it mattered, but didn't the study carried out in Quebec point towards hard wood as being superior?

Roguejim said:
Yeah, but I was under the impression that small branches from hard wood trees, in particular, are preferred. I know the guy in the movie Back To Eden didn't think it mattered, but didn't the study carried out in Quebec point towards hard wood as being superior?

Yes, but if you dont really have a choice then just take what you can get.  

Back