• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp 2016 IOWA,,Older and (bud) Wiser grow.

Hello my friends,I am still in the cold  and slow time of year.I have my first(3) seedlings of the year.The first plant was the "Mystery Wine".A Chis Joyner masterpiece that eluded my garden last year due to my failure to do a good job drying seeds.I got this from a pod the reigning Growdown Champ (terry) sent me.Not many changes this year,And I still need the right hip replaced,I am holding out as long as I can,(7 years till I retire)I will update what's going in the garden when I see them in a pot,I put out a list before that never rang true so we will delay my "Wish List"
   Thanks for stopping by all you old and soon to be friends.My updates will pick up when my weather does,
Good luck to all of you this year.
Randy

To go forward we must look back.
the top is my first grow out of buckets 3 years or so ago,the bottom is the 2015 grow with beds and an automatic water drip system
SANY0002.JPG

DSCF8575gardensot10-9.jpg

this is the new grow room which was raised  to 30 inches.I can get down fine,getting up is a bitch,lol
DSCF9130.jpg

installed doors on the seed starting station to help control temps..(my daughters old dollhouse I made her at 5 years old)I used parts lids I got from work.One had a neat drawing from a fellow co-worker must have worked up while not working.I liked it and decided I am an art collector.
DSCF9153.jpg

DSCF9133.jpg

There are 2 types of trays.Jiffy pucks(top) and a 3 mix starter I made.My starter had the first seedlings by the way.
DSCF9156.jpg

Joyners "mystery wine"
DSCF9164.jpg

LOT-Jalapeno-onion-garlic and carrot ferment started 2 weeks ago.
DSCF9110.jpg

A pork butt cooked today to take to the AC/DC concert in Kansas City Sunday.Mini vacation,3 days in BBQ town.
DSCF9160.jpg

one more and I'm out.My furniture eating jack russell-shih tzu dog Ryley will also be back to rid my yard of cats.
DSCF9162.jpg

Hey Randy, just stopped in to see what all the fuss is about!

Awesome garden, plants and pods.  I like the label on the
jar in the last pic!  16 choco bhutlahs?  Gawd!

Looks like a great season there.

Yeah baby! Killer hot sauce there!

I always respect the heat, and I just love it when the "macho" "I can handle anything" guys learn what real heat is. I still remember, and will never forget when Jesus and I just tasted one of those deadly brown peppers you sent me this summer. Mind you, we had eaten a Reaper a few days before. And after a twice times the size of grain of rice sample, Jesus said "I gotta go", Yeah he headed for the ice he keeps in his truck..LOL And this guy can handle his heat!

I will admit, It killed me too. A simply evil pod!

OCD Chilehead said:
That is hot. It's just like purée. I wouldn't dive into that one either. I like purée. I've got some self bottled sauce. It's not hot anymore. I just add more of the purée to bring the heat up to a respectable level.

I had the same reaction from my fellow workers. I would carry two bottles of sauce in my lunch pail. As well as a shaker of powder. I would give them the milder version first. If they said that ain't sh!t, I would let them try the hotter version. I would get them every time. They would see my pouring it like maple syrup on pancakes. They would do the same. Always treated the sauce with respect after that. LOL

It takes a lot of time and effort to do what we do. I don't mind burning someone that can't appreciate that. I just wish I had video. LOL
 I generally don't generally make a sauce with intent,but this nonbeliever has seen the light,and that's good  enough for me.

PaulG said:
Hey Randy, just stopped in to see what all the fuss is about!

Awesome garden, plants and pods.  I like the label on the
jar in the last pic!  16 choco bhutlahs?  Gawd!

Looks like a great season there.
Great to have you stop by Paul.,My grow has been better in the last few years.I thank mother nature for not hailing on me.

Devv said:
Yeah baby! Killer hot sauce there!

I always respect the heat, and I just love it when the "macho" "I can handle anything" guys learn what real heat is. I still remember, and will never forget when Jesus and I just tasted one of those deadly brown peppers you sent me this summer. Mind you, we had eaten a Reaper a few days before. And after a twice times the size of grain of rice sample, Jesus said "I gotta go", Yeah he headed for the ice he keeps in his truck..LOL And this guy can handle his heat!

I will admit, It killed me too. A simply evil pod!
That's funny when they try to take off for the water fountain.I try  to engage them in conversation to hold the up.That's when they run,lol

Beds are starting to clear.3 weeks and plants,framing and water lines will all be gone.
DSCF0858.jpg

stickman said:
In a way it's hard to see the season go, but I'm sure you'll be glad for a break Randy... and thanks for the mental picture of "Smiting the Unbeliever" with your one-off sauce. :P
I am doing a major pull this weekend.Avoided a hard frost by spraying water on 7ft plants this week.Rick I am ready for a break.

love this pic of daughter and me in the pepper jungle
DSCF0801.jpg

Devv said:
Great pic Randy!

And a super fantastic grow this year! My hats off to you ;)
Thanks Scott,I need to no what color you want in a box?

OCD Chilehead said:
Great grow this year, Randy.

Great pic of you and your daughter in the jungle.

Thanks for the box of fire. Need to get in the kitchen and start a project.

Great pods.
Chuck,I have been to Colorado.No prettier place in the World.

Pulled half the beds,next week is the last half for 2016
DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

Ryley is on >Hoosier>patrol today
DSCF0865.jpg

stickman said:

I hear ya Randy... pulled the last of my chiles today too. We had our first hard frost last night. The Swiss Chard, Kale, Leeks and Scallions will run for a bit further, but the rest is done. Time to kick back with a brewski... :beer:
We have short but very busy seasons Rick.That beer sounds good.

Devv said:
Yellow and reds! Those brown kill me....LOL

And what a great season!
Yellows heading your way,The browns kill us all Scott,lol

PaulG said:
Nice finale, Randy, finishing strong!
Thank you Paul,I am glad you swung by>next year I will kick you out some monsters.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good

I'm pulling my plants tomorrow. Need to do some ground prep before Winter.

Ryley looks like so cool.

I got into the Twister Dust today. Had me a cheese burger and cheese frys that were beggin me to dust them. So good. Thanks again
I think that dust was smoked,let me know if you can tell chuck.

lobo said:
Great Job Randy ! Really ! :party:
We will be swapping seeds soon Buddy,I need to get logistics worked out.

My dehydrator has been getting a workout
DSCF0889.jpg

It was smoked and damn good. Couldn't tell what kinda wood. I'm not good at those kind of things. Come to think of it. I don't think I've ever smoked pods before. How long do you smoke them for?

Back