• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media RANT: jiffy products

+1 another vote for the coco coir. Hugely easier to work with and manage (especially moisture issues) than peat pots.

are the others ranting actually complaining about the Jiffy company or some clone? I can go into a local dollar store and buy a jiffy clone, got a package right in front of me.... and yes, no matter how much water I put in, it is still a solid cake of product.

So, is it jiffy or peat pellets you are complaining about, because now that I look at jiffy versus the .05cent pellets I have, I think their may be a difference. I have tried coir and had not really improvement in germination or growth.

i think the general consensus here is peat based products (i.e. peat pucks and peat pots / cow pots) suck. not really necessarily the entire product line of the jiffy brand.

i think the general consensus here is peat based products (i.e. peat pucks and peat pots / cow pots) suck. not really necessarily the entire product line of the jiffy brand.
Yep. I know the peat pellets I had were Jiffy. Not completely sure about the peat pots, but they sucked real bad... I think they were Jiffy though.

i actually had a really good experience with the peat pellets this year.....that was until i potted them into peat pots/cow pots..that when the Sh&t hit the fan, took a huge lose this year becasue of those....

well if it was cow pots, you'd literally be handling "sh1t" since they are dried cow manure formed into pots. =D

My rant is about the peat cups/ containers/ trays whatever you want to call them. In particular, the 10 cell tray. When I wet it, they all but fell apart from each other. I have to soak the soil daily to keep the jiffy mix from drying out.

NOW....new rant. I have Jiffy mix in plastic 10 cell tray as well, with pre germinated seeds (from baggy/coffee filter) and put them in 5 days ago....haven't seen but one pop through. I haven't had this trouble with the coco coir stuff. I must be doing it wrong, as a lot of the experts on here swear by the mix. Moisture level seems very comparable to the coco while it's in the plastic.

In my opinion any product which uses straight peat should not be used for growing chiles. Many of us spend a lot of effort ammending our peat soil for mature plants, but people still use straight peat for their weak seedlings:( The jiffy pots are the worst since they are designed for planting as is where roots grow in and through them, and they are not practical or designed for potting up

Oh well. Im getting ready to pot up, git rid of/cull/give away. Im tired of messing with em. MOST of them I have more of than I need and if I loose a few I lose em. Im tired of coming home to dead seedlings in dry soil. I have 4 kids, and a job, I can't baby them 5 times a day lol. I make sure they have plenty to drink at night before I go to bed and theyre bone dry the next day. Oh well.

I've had some success putting jiffys or peat pots in a tray on top of some damp perlite to help keep them moist but you have to keep an eye out for mold

Not worth it when I have plastic available now. At the time, all the stores were closed and Lowes was the only thing open and that's all they had without buying a $20 greenhouse kit that I didn't need. Just a note in the future to do without until I have what I want.

I've used the jiffy peat pucks and 72 cell greenhouse for 2 years now and have had no problems. I have a large 4 light CFL that goes right on top of them after I plant them and I always keep the dom on until they sprout. So far my hatch ratio has been around 95% even with hard to hatch seeds like Bhut, White Peruvians, TS and lots of other super hots. I think the product works if you use it correctly and buy the entire kit that has the heat meat and dom. In fact I bought of a bunch of those coco cubes large and small, but they have just been sitting in a closet collecting dust.

On a side note I'll probably sell the entire case of those cubes if anyone is looking and hasn't had luck with the Jiffy pucks.

http://www.burpee.com/product/seed+starting/burpee+super+growing+pellets+%281+bag+of+72%29.do

These are what I use in addition to the Jiffy mix. These pellets are by far my favorite.

Seems like they said they were a coir product.....I don't see it on the website. Idk what they are, I'll look when I get home, I think I still have a box there, and see what they're made of.

I have NOT used the actually labeled coir pellets from Burpee.

They used to make a brick that was coco fiber....not sure what happened to that, thought if it was the same stuff as the super growing pellets, Id be all for it...a lot more for a lot less $$

Back