• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rapid Rooter

Hey All,

Quick question. I'm buying Rapid Rooter plugs for the first time, and I noticed that they are packaged wet.

Do you have to use them right away? 
Do the plugs go bad?

This may be answered by the questions above, but I guess you can't buy them a year in advance?

Thank you.

They're innoculated with a beneficial fungi/microbes and GH micronutrients, and moisture to keep the bene's active. I prefer not to store them longterm myself, but I've rehydrated old ones with good result before. They can start developing a white fuzz, but it is easily dealt with while pre-soaking.

If I don't use them all, I store the rest in zip lock bags.

Now, if I can only remember where I put em.

Okay, excellent! Now, I'm wondering why the guy at the shop thought they would go bad. You'd think he would have known better. :) Good to know I can save the rest of my plugs. Woot!

Thanks guys.

I don't know if it's "ok", but I've used an unopened bag of Rapid Rooters about a year after I bought them.  When they drop in price on Amazon this year, I'll be buying them for next year, too.... don't care when that may be. :D

Follow up question, do I need to add any nutrients to the plugs anytime between the time the seedlings sprout to transplanting into another pot? Which leads to another question. Most people look like they transplant well after most seedlings are transplanted form jiffy's or normal soil. It looks like they let plenty of roots come through the plug before transplanting. When is the best time to transplant a plug?

Thanks.

Back