• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rarest Pepper?

BlackFatalii said:

Hmm, that made me think. So if someone had their own cross and saved the seeds but didn't overwinter any plants, there would actually be NO living plants of that variety left in the world. At least not until that person sowed seeds again in the spring. Yeah, that would make it pretty damn rare.  :)

That is providing no one else did the same cross which now days would be astronomically impossible to determine given all the standard peppers people are crossing. And the pepper would not exist till you grew it again anyway. Now that theory would be more substantial if you were to cross two already difficult to obtain peppers and grow the resulting cross and announce the cross. Without the claim and physical proof, the existence and rarity is irreverent.

CAPCOM said:

And the pepper would not exist till you grew it again anyway.

And that was my point. Hypothetically speaking, a pepper that only exists in one person's backyard, then effectively goes extinct over the winter and is "resurrected" again in the spring would be a very very rare pepper indeed. And I would consider such a pepper to be a very rare one regardless of whether or not it was ever announced to anyone or ever had any claims made about it. If only one person in the world has access to that particular lineage, then that would be a pretty rare and exclusive lineage, would it not?

Or think about it this way. If Troy Primeaux had never announced the 7 Pot Primo to the world, but had instead just kept it to himself, then it would be a really rare variety would it not? No doubt there are plenty of other growers out there with their own Naga Morich x 7 Pot crosses, but that doesn't mean that those are all the exact same thing as Troy's lineage, does it?

Anyway, the whole thing was really just a line of reasoning that seemed relevant to the topic at hand, nothing more.

BlackFatalii said:

And that was my point. Hypothetically speaking, a pepper that only exists in one person's backyard, then effectively goes extinct over the winter and is "resurrected" again in the spring would be a very very rare pepper indeed. And I would consider such a pepper to be a very rare one regardless of whether or not it was ever announced to anyone or ever had any claims made about it. If only one person in the world has access to that particular lineage, then that would be a pretty rare and exclusive lineage, would it not?

Or think about it this way. If Troy Primeaux had never announced the 7 Pot Primo to the world, but had instead just kept it to himself, then it would be a really rare variety would it not? No doubt there are plenty of other growers out there with their own Naga Morich x 7 Pot crosses, but that doesn't mean that those are all the exact same thing as Troy's lineage, does it?

Anyway, the whole thing was really just a line of reasoning that seemed relevant to the topic at hand, nothing more.

But let me throw this out there then. Rare means nothing if no one can acquire it. Rare and unobtainable may as well be extinct for all others concerned. As an example, Judy has never released her Lavas and as such are indeed rare to the chili community. However since no one can obtain them, they are for all intents and purposes, extinct.

Voodoo 6 said:
Has Judy ever said what the cross was to create the lava?

Rumour has it, Primo x Moruga. But 10 people can make that same cross and not get the results she has.

Voodoo 6 said:
A Chinense with a Chinense, wonder what she is doing to create those.

Often times same species are crossed together in an attempt to acquire unique traits of each or in hopes of weeding others out.

In science you need to disclose the methods, so they can be duplicated to test. I understand the need for privacy, but if you ever release it into the wild....is she like going for a world record?

Voodoo 6 said:
maybe she is back crossing to stabilize? wonder if she is even crossing those with another. who knows??

She is not doing either. All I can tell you is, she is waiting.

Jase4224 said:
I know this is a little off topic but since his name was brought up in this thread.. where did Nigel Carter go? His input was great and influenced what I grow for the better.

He is still around and still doing to peppers what I will never be able to do. But he is doing a lot of refurbishing and building of guitars, among all his other activities. He pops in here now and then, just not as frequent as he used to. I too miss his chili intellect.

CAPCOM said:

Rumour has it, Primo x Moruga. But 10 people can make that same cross and not get the results she has.

I know so very little about dna.  But I would be willing to bet the same would be true fi she had crossed the same plants again.  My son and daughter look and act so very differently.  I think the exact combinations of mama and papa dna are so wide that huge differences appear with each offspring.  Probably why growing them out for so long is necessary to get consistency. 

Do that to humans, add some banjo music, and you got a good movie.

Nigel who??? 

Where to start. As Prod John said, C.tovarii used to be very rare in the hobby, but it`s available now, if you know where to look. They are bugger to germinate, though. My personal favourite is C.lanceolatum. It`s also the most difficult Capsicum I`ve ever tried to grow and was thought to be extinct for a while, until rediscovery in the early 1990s. I urge anyone interested to look up C.caballeroi, my favourite species. As for that friburgense, only Chris Phillips thinks they are worth something. 

There are perhaps 20-25 wild species that are not in the hobby, from Brazil to Bolivia to Peru to Ecuador to Columbia. And undoubtedly some scientifically undescribed ones. 

As for Lavas, all are available except the one Judy labelled "Black Lava" and yes, Moruga x Primo. 

I guess "rare" can mean different things to different people. I have a few crosses I`ve not given out, so I`m the only grower. Does that make them rare? I guess it does, but it doesn`t make them interesting or worth seeking out, LOL. 

These days I find Facebook easier to contribute to, especially photos etc. I should look in here a lot more often, though. 

My day job is now working repairing and restoring guitars, plus I build my own on the side (have done for 15 years). I had to take a break from Golf as I had 2 back surgeries and still suffer from being a fat bastard. 

Back