• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Raspberry Pi greenhouse monitor/controller

Originally I used an 8 yearold laptop to monitor the temperature in my greenhouse and am still using STC-1000 temp controller to regulate heat/cooling, but now I decided to step it up a notch and try use Raspberry Pi 2.

I've looked around and it seems that http://www.raspiviv.com/ is the most user-friendly option out there.

I will be ordering the sensors and relays in the next couple of weeks and will post another update, but decided to get it running first, setup the webserver, etc.

2016_02_06_16_17_08.jpg

2016_02_06_16_23_20.jpg

Yeah I've used it before for media centre, ran a few small services on it, etc. But havent touched it for over a year now. Hoping this will work as good as their manuals describe. Then I'll be able to get rid of everything else and just leave the pi to manage the greenhouse.

Finally got it sorted. So far it's just a monitor, no relays have been hooked up yet. 

Most of the instructions are accurate except had to work out how to get it to remember to keep wlan static IP, etc, but nothing major. Pretty stoked. I reckon a few weeks from now I'll get the relays to work, and will run my lights through it as well since the software supports that too.

Will have to make a case for it at some point as well.

2016_03_09_19_20_12.jpg

2016_03_09_19_20_25.jpg

graph1.jpg

Awesome! I've got an arduino uno that I've been meaning to fiddle with. I'd love to set up a pump with small irrigation hoses for indoor starter plants. Very inspiring!

I'm surprised the Pi has lasted in a ziplock bag without overheating itself. There are lots of cases available, some with 5v fans and heatsinks included. I would suggest something like this to avoid coming home from a weekend with a dead garden. If you put all your eggs in one basket with fans/lights/irrigation especially. 

bushwhackxj said:
I'm surprised the Pi has lasted in a ziplock bag without overheating itself. There are lots of cases aivailable, some with 5v fans and heatsinks included. I would suggest something like this to avoid coming home from a weekend with a dead garden. If you put all your eggs in one basket with fans/lights/irrigation especially. 
Yeah mate its only monitoring stuff at the moment, the rest is controlled by STC-1000. Its still alive in that plastic bag lol, I do need to get a case though I agree, ive used them before a few times, not sure why not this time, didnt have one on hand and then forgot about it.

Back