• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Rats eating my corn

Do not scroll down if you do not want to see dead animals. Got 2 of the bastards!!

Attachments

• 20180710_212133.jpg
    20180710_212133.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 103
I liked the idea of the water bucket trap but think you need to upgrade to 35+ gal barrel.

Bury half the barrel, improve the rolling bait system.

Congrats on getting two, hope you get several more.

Looks like someone found himself in a sticky situation.. #3. Not too bad for one night. Time to do the deed.

Attachments

• 20180711_075201-1.jpg
    20180711_075201-1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 97
Back in the day when grandma killed a mouse with a broom it was like awesome. now its like awe.. how humanly did you kill it.

Voodoo 6 said:
Back in the day when grandma killed a mouse with a broom it was like awesome. now its like awe.. how humanly did you kill it.
I was using the sticky traps but it kinda sucked having to dispatch them and my wife was slightly traumatized by it so I went and bought some more spring traps today. It was dead when I found this one. They seem to kill pretty quick. I don't want any animal to suffer. Pest or not. The sticky traps are just a little too brutal and inhumane for my liking. Some people just throw them away with live animals in them too. I can understand not wanting to dispatch them yourself but I feel it's the right thing to do. Makes me happy that I'm keeping them from destroying my crops but not feeling to good about how it was going down with the sticky traps

I don't think I'd have the heart to use a hammer as mentioned before though. I'd prefer poison/spring traps. Of course neither is a great way to go, but they're better than the alternatives.

2 total from last night in the snap traps and a grand total of 5. Hopefully I'm putting a dent in the population. It's already sounding more calm out there. Not hearing the mad dash of them fleeing when I walk up to the corn anymore so thats a good sign. Actually heard one of the traps go off and when I went to check it was already dead so thats a little more comforting that its at least a quick kill.

Was just wondering how the fight was coming along? I couldnt imagine having to fight off rats like that..bad enough with deer and rabbits.

Edmick said:
Total of 7 killed so far. Haven't had any in a few days and it's been pretty quiet with no new damage so we'll see. I'm still setting traps just in case

Thats great news I truly hope it stays under control for you. It was a great read from start to finish and have everyone with some great suggestions to try and help, I really did find it kinda neat (prolly not so much from your point of view :)) I am sure almost every gardener can relate to having pest of some kind but having wild rats in the garden is pretty unheard of in Canada excluding maybe the bigger city's. But best of luck if anything changes please give another update whenever you have the time to do so.
Cheers!!

Back