• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rats - They are eating my Foodarama Scotch Bonnets

I had the same issue last year. I purchased a pellet gun with a scope and used to pile up my daily kill like I was on a hunting expedition. They had tunnels all under my rows and were doing serious damage to the root system as well as eating the pods. I took out an entire family, perhaps generation. They have not returned this year.

these are just eating the peppers...

Between snakes and birds, coyotes and ocelots, the rats don't stand much of a chance around here.
It's fun to hear"that"squeal out on the planters at 3 am and go see who caught what. Usually boas, micas or hog nose vipers.
Most of the "rat" snakes here actually eat more frogs,smaller snakes, jumbo beetles and lizards than anything else.

If you're worried about dogs and snap traps just put the trap inside of some lg. PVC or an open ended coffee size can right up against a building.They always run along side of something.</p>

yup...got them under the plants in the "closed area"....that is my raised bed under the 50% shade cloth I put up to keep the birds from eating my tomatos.....

you can try those sounds emitters....had them work on the fathers farm when traps and poison where an issue

no electricity near where they need to be...I have a couple on my back porch and in my storage shed...

I think I just about have them under control....AJ - 6 Rats - 0

In hunt camps we use antifreeze so there is no stink or bugs. I've also found that my turkey fryer pot left out in the shed over the winter becomes a good mouse trap without stink or bugs

it would be hard for my dog to step on the traps since they are in a closed area he can't get in plus they are in the raised bed itself...

Whew, good :) I'd hate for the dog to find one. I recall my mom's dog (who's all of 10 pounds soaking wet) nearly stepped on one and my mom about had a heart attack!

Ike is about 95 lbs and pretty tall...he is on the large end of weimaraners...somehow he knows not to mess with my plants and generally stays away from them...unless he is eating the grass between the containers that are on the ground...

I understand about smaller dogs and these traps...I had one pop on my finger yesterday and it is kinda sore today...

Natural predators are always the way to go if you can... get one of those costa rican snakes ;-)

THIS! (or any large snakes) Maybe best to get something native to your area so if anyone complains it was just coincidence that a den happened to be on your property.

shit guys...if I lived in the jungle or in the woods, or in the mesquite desert, I would not have a problem with rats or using natural predators.....but.....I live in a neighborhood of families with children, cats, and a lot of us are "older" folks like myself...

I thank each and everyone that has posted possible solutions like I originally asked but I am just using rat traps...

@dave...it is plain to see you and I don't see eye to eye on things so let's just agree to disagree...OK...elimination of the offending species is my choice....and a legal one at that...

^ I don't understand what you are referring to? When did I suggest not getting rid of the rats? I was referring to people complaining about having snakes outside, that buying and releasing snakes on the property has the potential to make neighbors upset and may be illegal in some areas.

I have a problem every year with rats eating my tomatoes, but I use rat poison. I get so
pissed off when they take bites out of every tomato that I work so hard to grow.

Back