• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Reaper / Primo and Trinidad Scorp / Butch T

I observed that the Butch T Scorpion was a narrowing of dna from the Trinidad Scorpion.

cmpman1974 said:
The original Trinidad Scorpion originated from Vallew View Farms in Cockeysvllle, Maryland.  It's as simple as that.

Thank you for that.  I thought you had brought the Trinidad Scorpion into the US because Puckerbutt says exactly that.

http://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/products/cp-321-trinidad-scorpion-red-cardi

cmpman1974 said:
I think we are referring to two different peppers.  I originally brought in the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Red into the U.S. in 2006 when I obtained it from a friend in Tobago. 
I wasn't talking TS Moruga.  I was talking TS Scorpion.  I -think- the confusion is that the Puckerbutt site is wrong when it says that you brought TS Scorpion into the US and made it available.  Per Puckerbutt, you brought BOTH TS Moruga Blend Red AND TS Scorpion Red into the country and made it available.

Think I am going ot believe you instead of Puckerbutt web site, but give it a look.  Link above.

TS CARDI is still not the same as TS Butch T Red.  The TS CARDI Red is different from TS Moruga Blend Red.  Actually the person who sent me the TS Moruga also did send the TS CARDI Red in 2006 as well.  I believe CARDI also sells their Scorpion seeds in bulk too to commercial buyers. The TS Butch T has a unique look (one from Valley View Farms) and is unique to both the others mentioned here.

Chris

I think my head just exploded. Trinidad, scorpion, moruga, blend red, Butch t. Just think I am gonna call it the Wahid lol.

Voodoo 6 said:
Was wondering if anyone has ever extensively interviewed Troy Primeaux? Would love to pick his brain on the development stages of the Primo f1 thru f8.
He is a very approachable & likeable man  Have never interviewed him or talked about anything formal like.  Just random stuff like anyone else.  Try his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/primospeppers/

cmpman1974 said:
The TS Butch T has a unique look (one from Valley View Farms) and is unique to both the others mentioned here.

I am lost.  I thought Butch Taylor of Zydeco Farms was the originator of the Butch T and it was distributed n promoted by Hippie Seed.

Earlier, you said: "The original Trinidad Scorpion originated from Vallew View Farms in Cockeysvllle, Maryland.  It's as simple as that."

I am sure it is me that is not reading something right.  Are you saying Valley View Farms was the western worlds original distributor of both the above named peppers? Again,I am probably having a bad series of reading days.

To me it sounds like the story is that the original TS originated from Valley View Farms after someone there obtained samples from Trinidad. Butch Taylor used this strain to develop the TS Butch-T.

The original TS is not the same as the TS CARDI Red, these are 2 different strains of TS and the CARDI Red came on the scene later than the original strain.

As a retalitivly new member but not pepper grower I am overwhelmed by all of the genetics and cross breeding that y'all talk about in regards to the peppers we all grow and love. I find it interesting that there is a story to go along with every variety and phenotype. So and so grew this.....first. As an outsider I just like growing the stable verities but guess that maybe one day I will go the route of cross breeding and starting from seed like other plant varieties ;). I just had no idea that there was this much 'politics' in the pepper world. But then again I didn't even discover the online pepper world till last year.

I'm enjoying my time here...reading all I can...and learning from the best in our great hobby.

Ps I'm growing the chocolate Trinidad scorpions as well as yellow primos this year. Have ripe good looking pods on both plants but think they taste nothing alike...jmo

cloudhand said:

The original TS is not the same as the TS CARDI Red, these are 2 different strains of TS and the CARDI Red came on the scene later than the original strain.
Thinking on what CARDI does, I would be willing to bet that the CARDI Red is a refinement of a larger gene pool that we call the Trinidad Scorpion?  That is just a guess. 

I bet a big part of the puzzle can be solved by talking to Wahid. I wonder if he has some sort of internet access. Perhaps we can ask a series of questions, and see if he will respond. I am at a loss as to what questions to ask if he was available.

Back