• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Received my plants from chileplants.com/Pics/A few Questions

Well I got my order from cross country nurseries today as you can see below and had a few questions for all of you here.
1) I have Drammatic "K" fertilizer, when should I use it with the plants from ccn, and when I do should I do 1/2 strength or Full?

2) I have a few 5 gal pots I was planning to put them in when should I pot up to them?

3) i have a few pics also of seedlings as well should those get ferts or should I hold off?

Well anyways here are the pics and thanks for all your help! I wouldnt have got this far w/out you guys!

DSCN1725.jpg

The chile's from ccn are in the back

DSCN1729.jpg

This pepperoncini has buds should they be pinched?

DSCN1728.jpg

Some Bhuts and Scorpions

DSCN1734.jpg

Maybe I am impatient but this one keeps sprouting new leaves but not growing any taller. Any thoughts why? It is about a month old.

Well anyways I have tons more of questions and pics but I think this is enough to start with.

nice healthy looking plant... 5 gal pot should be enough you should worry about the price and quality of the dirt dont but them in direct sun for the fist few days let them get used to the new environmet . i would say you go ahead and plant them in the bigger pots .. what all the varieties u bough

2) What i do is, when i think its time to repott i let it dry out a bit. Then i pull the plant from the pot. And check how the roots are doing. As seen in the picture i uploaded its time for repotting the roots cant grow much more then this. in this pot.
2010_03_28_0999.jpg

3) Use veary smal amunt of fertz for seedlings i dont give my seedlings any fertz at all the first week. And when i do give them i give veary little to start with. And as the plant grow i add stronger solution. Normly you can find info on the bottle. But for seedlings mybe 1/4 of what it says shold be fine!

The last seedling in the picture what varity is it? Cuse its hard to know if it shold be a fast grower or not. Culd be from a bad seed, or somthing. Thats why when plant from seed, alwas put down more then you need. ie for 1 plant i put down 3-5 seeds and just keep 1. The one that grow best the first 2 weeks.

Hope it helps its 3am and i shold be in bed looong time ago! ;)

Edit: Yes i wuld pinch those buds off! This year am gonna pinch off all buds until they been in the final pot for 2 weeks!

From CCN I received:
2 bhut jolokia
2 trinidad scorpions
1 burning bush
1 godfather hybrid
1 Cleo's dragon
1 cobra
1 Aji omnicolor
1 Burning bush
1 Fatalli
1 Devil's tongue

Thanks orrevs! The lil seedling is some type of cayenne i bought from a pack from lowes or wal-mart... I have two others from that pack that are just a bit smaller than the one pictured.

HOH_Virus said:
Thanks orrevs! The lil seedling is some type of cayenne i bought from a pack from lowes or wal-mart... I have two others from that pack that are just a bit smaller than the one pictured.

It looks like 3cm? If its Cayenne and its been going for a month it shold be a bit bigger. But am sure it will grow fast soon! Mybe the pot is a bit to big? Takes more time for it to make some nice roots to help it to grow.
But if that one is the biggest of the 3 seedlings, i supose its fine. The steam look nice! So just wait and give it some small amount of fertz and alot of light ;)

They are under those floros about 18 hours a day, should I keep the plants from ccn under the floro's if they are going outside in a week or so?

HOH_Virus said:
They are under those floros about 18 hours a day, should I keep the plants from ccn under the floro's if they are going outside in a week or so?

You shold, but you culd also put them out in the shade. Day time then take them back inside at night. Cuse they get burned easy in the sun. So you have to make them get used to it.

Why do you pinch the buds? Is it to allow more energy/nutrients for plant growth, in stead of using energy/nutrients to fruit?

jolokia_jas said:
Why do you pinch the buds? Is it to allow more energy/nutrients for plant growth, in stead of using energy/nutrients to fruit?

Yes, but i dont know if its worth it. But ive heard alot of chili growers that you shold do it. It will grow faster.

orrevs said:
Yes, but i dont know if its worth it. But ive heard alot of chili growers that you shold do it. It will grow faster.

Cheers mate, might give it a try on a couple when they get to that stage.

HOH_Virus ....... READ the info they sent !! They want you to set up your transplanting. Next step from what you got would be 1 gallon pots. When those pots are full of roots then the 5 gal pots. If your weather is nice you can start hardening off your plants now. As they came or in larger 1 gallon pots. Most of the guys who have grown for a long time always say to set up as you transplant instead of putting small plants in a vast space. The reasoning is the small roots in a real large area stay WET for a much longer time which can cause problems. In smaller pots the moisture is more equal and gets used up evenly. So when you water again the plants get oxygen and nutes more evenly.

Having said that ..... your plants from CCN will make it if you rush things and put them in 5 gal pots. But don't do that with little seedlings .....

On the CCN plants ....... for the first and maybe second watering I use nutes at 1/2 strength then go full power after that. If you're overing doing it the plants will tell you...... the tips of leaves will burn a little. Nothing to get overly freaked about .... just cut back the next time , then slowly build up.

Keep your plants under lights for 18 hrs a day until you're ready to start hardening them off.

I've had super results with plants from CCN.

Peace and good luck ,
P. Dreadie

Chiles don't need very much fertilizer and they're generally not too fussy what they get but personally I'd never feed them anything full strength. The fertilizer manufacturers want you to use as much as possible but its usually overkill for chiles. What is the nutrient ratio on the Drammatic "K" fertilizer ??/??/??

POTAWIE ..... good point as always. What I use or if you use fish and kelp juices these are in my view fairly weak as opposed to miracle grow and a few other brands.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

POTAWIE said:
Chiles don't need very much fertilizer and they're generally not too fussy what they get but personally I'd never feed them anything full strength. The fertilizer manufacturers want you to use as much as possible but its usually overkill for chiles. What is the nutrient ratio on the Drammatic "K" fertilizer ??/??/??

I agree w Potawie on the ferts. "Less is More" - tread lightly. Pinching the buds for the 1st few weeks worked great for me last year. Pinching buds on small plants in shipping pots is mandatory IMO. You might get a few early pods by not pinching, but the plant will not grow to it's potential and it will cost you many more pods down the line.

+1 Big T. I actually pinch for several months
Also fish products are usually higher in nitrogen, just be careful not to burn out your plants. When in doubt, less is best

Back