• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Recharge the Dirt

ZanderSpice said:
Your food scraps could carry pest eggs that would hatch in the worm farm and escape to infect your plants. I think a garage is probably best. It's also advised to keep your outdoor plant scraps and soil out of the worm bin.

Thanks for the tips. Ok i'll just make room in the garage or maybe outside? I do have a space that I could dedicate outside near the front patio, but would that attract pest?

I did a search for worm farm and found some pretty basic setups for around $100 so i'll probably just go with one of those pre made ones. I don't have time to make my own. As far as the compost you said not to put my outside plant scraps in the bin? What does that mean exactly? Don't use leaves, grass, or stuff like that?

Not sure if it will work or not, but my goal is to take all the plants that are not going inside under the lights and pull them out of the pots and toss the soil in with a bit of manure and add in kitchen composting items and red worms. Hopefully by the time i'm ready to start next year the soil will be good enough to re-use and I won't have to spend another $400 or so on soil. Would that work. I have never composted anything or done any research on the subject at all.

Depending on your setup outside you may or may not attract pests like rats. Small worm farms should work in the garage. If you check out the Soil, Compost forum on gardenweb you will find many compost wackos who know their stuff and can better inform you.

thaichillihead said:
Depending on your setup outside you may or may not attract pests like rats. Small worm farms should work in the garage. If you check out the Soil, Compost forum on gardenweb you will find many compost wackos who know their stuff and can better inform you.

Ok I'll have to just plan on putting it in the garage and do some reaserch on the topic. The is my first year growing peppers and I have never grown any type of fruit so never really needed compost, but I really want to re-use my soil again next year so I'll just clear some space in the garage..

Back