• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Recipe Alteration

I hope I got this in the right place. If not I apologize. So anyway I have a salsa recipe that since its creation has been getting great reviews. Well one of the peppers I used to use was the Black Pearl. Well I no longer have any seeds and the plants I tried to winterize have died. What I am wondering is what pepper can I add in its place that would add good flavor and similar heat. Here is my recipe...

Ingredients for Crazy Salsa

*6 large seeded chopped peeled tomatoes
*2 cups seeded chopped green peppers
*3/4 cup chopped onion
*1 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used pickling salt since I was canning)
*2 cloves minced garlic
*1 1/2 cups cider or wine vinegar
*2 large Jalapenos (chopped)
*2 Cayenne (chopped)
*2 Black Pearls (for a little heat)
*3 Sticks of chopped celery
* Pepper (to taste)

If it helps this is what I am growing this year...

Cayenne
Numex Big Jim
Yellow Fatalii
Orange Hab
White Bullet Hab
Gold Bullet Hab
Red Savina Hab
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Red Scotch Bonnet
Bih Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia
Naga Morich
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Much Nacho
Trinidad Scorpion
Devils Tongue
Serrano
7 Pod
7 Pod Brain Strain
Peter Pepper
Yellow Peter Pepper

Thanks much for all the help.

crazy8 ...... I'm sorry to say it ..... but none of the peppers you're growing will ever replace the Black Pearl . So don't try ..... just send me all your pods as they get ripe and save yourself all the headache. I'll PM my addy .....

Peace & better luck next year,
P. Dreadie

lol well I guess I will just have to experiment and see what I can find that I like. I have read that datil's and fatalii's are pretty fruity and would probably go well with the addition of lime juice which I am going to also try out.

Back