• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recomended pot size for these peppers?

Trinidad Scorpion Sweet, Aji limon Peru yellow, Habañero orange, and bhut jolokia. I have 10" pots but I was thinking about going to lowes and grabing some buckets and soil.

The Scorp, Hab, and Bhut will all be large plants so I would get some size pots for them. Nursery #5, or 5-7gal, the bigger the pot the bigger the plant CAN grow. It's all up to how well you can take care of their needs. I haven't grown the Aji....

Just my $.02

The Scorp, Hab, and Bhut will all be large plants so I would get some size pots for them. Nursery #5, or 5-7gal, the bigger the pot the bigger the plant CAN grow. It's all up to how well you can take care of their needs. I haven't grown the Aji....

Just my $.02
Thanks And I wish this stuff cost 2 cents haha *rubs claws I cant wait for them to be giants haha.* also how many holes should I put in the bottom of the buckets or ill just get pots if i can.

Go by some local restaurants and you should be able to score some 5gal for free. I'll try and find the pic I have of mine with the holes I drilled.......

got it, think the holes were 3/8in. Great drainage even through a very wet spring.
771-1.jpg

769.jpg

I'll leave it up to the experts on if the white buckets are a problem or not for the roots. It gets really hot here so I stayed away from the black ones. Make sure the buckets were for food and not chemicals, then wash them really good with a bleach solution or hydrogen peroxide. I bought big bottles of peroxide from the dollar store and cleaned the buckets with it straight. Rinse off really well and you should be good to go.

You can score nursery buckets for free or really cheap from a local nursery.

If you troll the back door of your local Restaurants many times you will find 5 gallon buckets stacked up just ask them if you can have a few they almost always give em away for free.

Go by some local restaurants and you should be able to score some 5gal for free. I'll try and find the pic I have of mine with the holes I drilled.......
Thanks also I'm gonna need to get some soil but not sure of the cost yet im bettings its over 50 bucks or less.

Chinese restaurants and the bakery department at grocery stores seem to work pretty well. They use them for soy sauce and frosting. Also, I would say drill a hole per sq in. You don't need the tape measure, but you really can't have too many holes. Also, go about every inch or 2 around the base of the pot as well. It helps to have some side drainage. Lastly, do not pot them up until they are ready. You could end up not giving it enough time to establish a rootball. Read this thread. We were talking about it last night. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27853-ok-to-transplant/

If you're snagging pots from resturants make sure they are food grade.

As for holes you need 1" holes every 3.75". Up from the bottom 1.5". That's the "standard" set up. Some folks like to have a little more drainage, which is called "leakers" so they go with 1.25" holes every 3" and only 1" from the bottom. Personally I think those people are nuts. Then there are others who like to put the holes up higher. They usually go up 5" from the bottom with 1.75" holes and only space them 2.5" apart. That's called the "desert" set up. I can see this but personally I prefer the standard. You can go to the extreme and put the holes directly into the bottom of the pot. This is called "flood". You have to use fewer, smaller holes. In from the edge 1" with .5" holes drilled every 4". Then you have the "draino". It's the lazy man's way to do it. You drill a 3.5" hole dead center in the bottom of the bucket. I'm not sure why I even told you this one I hate it so much. Your decision.

Good luck. :halo: :whistle:

Chinese restaurants and the bakery department at grocery stores seem to work pretty well. They use them for soy sauce and frosting. Also, I would say drill a hole per sq in. You don't need the tape measure, but you really can't have too many holes. Also, go about every inch or 2 around the base of the pot as well. It helps to have some side drainage. Lastly, do not pot them up until they are ready. You could end up not giving it enough time to establish a rootball. Read this thread. We were talking about it last night. http://www.thehotpep...-to-transplant/
Allright thanks Mgold Ill try all this out im so glad I found this forum im becoming a pepper maniac :)

If you're snagging pots from resturants make sure they are food grade.

As for holes you need 1" holes every 3.75". Up from the bottom 1.5". That's the "standard" set up. Some folks like to have a little more drainage, which is called "leakers" so they go with 1.25" holes every 3" and only 1" from the bottom. Personally I think those people are nuts. Then there are others who like to put the holes up higher. They usually go up 5" from the bottom with 1.75" holes and only space them 2.5" apart. That's called the "desert" set up. I can see this but personally I prefer the standard. You can go to the extreme and put the holes directly into the bottom of the pot. This is called "flood". You have to use fewer, smaller holes. In from the edge 1" with .5" holes drilled every 4". Then you have the "draino". It's the lazy man's way to do it. You drill a 3.5" hole dead center in the bottom of the bucket. I'm not sure why I even told you this one I hate it so much. Your decision.

Good luck. :halo: :whistle:
Allright thanks *heh doing shortcuts get's me in trouble so ill try it the hard way.*

In regards to soil, people are going to throw out PromixBX as the best you could find. Some think it is just really good and some swear by it. I used it last season, and it wasn't my favorite. I will use it in my tent this year for when I pot up, because I still have a bag or two and I dont wanna waste the 60 bucks that I have sittin in the garage. Others like FoxFarms, and some make their own. I would recommend reading through the soil sticky thread to get a few ideas. Also, go to a local nursery and ask them what they like to use. I find that what works in Florida for example may not be the best in AZ. If you talk to the people that have been doing this forever they could steer you in the right direction. I like Lowe's (because of a good discount), but if I need local advice I find a local nursery. A lot of them locally sell soil. Topsoil, mulch, compost, etc. Usually it is "dirt" cheap. BWAHAHAHA!! Anyways, if you are trying to fill up a few buckets, or a raised bed they can normally make you a deal. We have a guy that will fill up the bed of my truck for 50 bucks. I spent 200 at lowes on topsoil and compost last season by buying 80 or 90 bags. NEVER AGAIN!

In regards to soil, people are going to throw out PromixBX as the best you could find. Some think it is just really good and some swear by it. I used it last season, and it wasn't my favorite. I will use it in my tent this year for when I pot up, because I still have a bag or two and I dont wanna waste the 60 bucks that I have sittin in the garage. Others like FoxFarms, and some make their own. I would recommend reading through the soil sticky thread to get a few ideas. Also, go to a local nursery and ask them what they like to use. I find that what works in Florida for example may not be the best in AZ. If you talk to the people that have been doing this forever they could steer you in the right direction. I like Lowe's (because of a good discount), but if I need local advice I find a local nursery. A lot of them locally sell soil. Topsoil, mulch, compost, etc. Usually it is "dirt" cheap. BWAHAHAHA!! Anyways, if you are trying to fill up a few buckets, or a raised bed they can normally make you a deal. We have a guy that will fill up the bed of my truck for 50 bucks. I spent 200 at lowes on topsoil and compost last season by buying 80 or 90 bags. NEVER AGAIN! .
Geez lol that is a rip off dang corperations ;) Ill try to ask around thank's MGOLD now to find this nursery :S.

If you are near any horse-y neigh-borhoods, here's a thought: I found a place just up the road that composts horse poop from the area's stables and equestrian centers. They had a "premium compost" which had coffee groundsadded and a potting mix that had the coffee grounds, sand, and a bit of perlite. Half a yard of each basically overfilled the back of my buddy's pick-up (he owed me a favor) and the total cost was $30. Both were well-composted but still quite hot. I'm not planting in them right away anyways.

I found 5# nursery pots for 50 cents each on craigslist...if you search hard enough you can find them for free from some nurserys...less work than the buckets, but either will work fine. Being in AZ white buckets should not be an issue, they may actually be better than black IMO.

[sub]I also did some soil testing, and if you want to go with ready made...I like Kellogg, Cheap and made with quality ingredients. All organic if you're into that. I am still trying to make and test some of my own...but I gotta wait for my worms to finish thier work in the compost before I can begin...[/sub]

soilexample.jpg

The light blue are in Kellogg...the others in some other cheap mixes. I have their names and can provide. Bottom line is that some soils are just plain toxic to peppers. They have all been repotted in the Kellogg soil now, but the ones circled in yellow are very slow to recover. Point is...you can find a bargain, but be careful because more often than not you get what you pay for.

yellow=supersoil TERRIBLE!!!
red=earthgro Not so great...but performed almost as well as MG
Blue=Kellogg REALLY GOOD! At $4.97 per 1.5 CF bag...its a bargain! Drains very well...the only issue I had was it is a bit "twiggy" Contains worm castings, bat guano, kelp...the list goes on premium ingredients for a bargain price.

I found 5# nursery pots for 50 cents each on craigslist...if you search hard enough you can find them for free from some nurserys...less work than the buckets, but either will work fine. Being in AZ white buckets should not be an issue, they may actually be better than black IMO.

[sub]I also did some soil testing, and if you want to go with ready made...I like Kellogg, Cheap and made with quality ingredients. All organic if you're into that. I am still trying to make and test some of my own...but I gotta wait for my worms to finish thier work in the compost before I can begin...[/sub]

soilexample.jpg

The light blue are in Kellogg...the others in some other cheap mixes. I have their names and can provide. Bottom line is that some soils are just plain toxic to peppers. They have all been repotted in the Kellogg soil now, but the ones circled in yellow are very slow to recover. Point is...you can find a bargain, but be careful because more often than not you get what you pay for.

yellow=supersoil TERRIBLE!!!
red=earthgro Not so great...but performed almost as well as MG
Blue=Kellogg REALLY GOOD! At $4.97 per 1.5 CF bag...its a bargain! Drains very well...the only issue I had was it is a bit "twiggy" Contains worm castings, bat guano, kelp...the list goes on premium ingredients for a bargain price.
Thats the soil I got :) I'm glad I picked out the right soil i was thinking organic *leafy w.e soil so i got kellogs premium poting soil 1.5 It was cheap too $4.97 like you said yeah it is a bit twiggy not too much of a issue though. hopefully it holds water well so I wont have to water it 24/7 durring the summer months of phoenix, az.

Back