labels Recommendations for color printer?

We have a very cheap all-in-one color inkjet printer.
We'd like to upgrade to print better quality labels for our food items.  We're not in business yet, we just package things as gifts or sell to a very small circle.

Can anyone recommend a general purpose color printer that can print nice labels without breaking the bank?
The labels coming off our current printer are pretty bad.  Also, we design everything for Avery labels using their own software and still nothing lines up.

mitchNC said:
Can anyone recommend a general purpose color printer that can print nice labels without breaking the bank?

I have a HP OfficeJet 3830 that is reliable but recently (After 5-6 years) started printing erratic letters (Read that as poor print quality).

Picking out a printer is the first step, there are numerous reports you should research about the cost of ink before buying.>The Price of Printer Ink

I wouldn't use any ink jet I know of for food labels. One drop or smudge of water and the label is toast.

If you want smaller labels (2.4" x whatever) in red, black and white, look at a Brother QL-800 thermal printer. Dirt cheap and prints great looking labels that are much more durable than laser printing.

Nothing wrong with an ink jet!

The paper is just as important as the printer. COATED paper LOCKS the ink in. Like when you print a photograph. There's a misconception when it comes to printers. You need a better one because your labels look flat and condensation makes them run. That's why you get coated paper! It seals the ink and looks glossy. FACT: Pro labels are ink NOT toner. DO NOT get a laser printer for labels. DO NOT upgrade your printer until you try the coated paper. 

Here is a good paper: https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-gloss-inkjet-labels

The Hot Pepper said:

The paper is just as important as the printer. COATED paper LOCKS the ink in. Like when you print a photograph. There's a misconception when it comes to printers. You need a better one because your labels look flat and condensation makes them run. That's why you get coated paper! It seals the ink and looks glossy. FACT: Pro labels are ink NOT toner. DO NOT get a laser printer for labels. DO NOT upgrade your printer until you try the coated paper. 

Here is a good paper: https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-gloss-inkjet-labels

Wow, that's cool stuff. Maybe there's a reason not to hate ink jets. I have all sorts of different packs of fancyass special HP paper that I've been collecting for 30 years and never used. I should put some cartridges in my old Officejet and give it a try. Thanks.

Even good basic printers print good looking photographs right? That's the reason, the photo paper. They look like crap on printer paper. Basic labels are just printer paper with adhesive. Coated label paper will act much like photo paper. Give it a try before buying a new printer it may work out for you.

The Hot Pepper said:

I was wondering if I could prevent smudges with a regular printer. Now I know.

Back