• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

recommendations for what to grow here?

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
cornerfm8.jpg

By alabamajack1 at 2008-01-18

Unfortunately Herbs, Peppers, vegetables will do OK but not go wild there.

I would think that something that can vine would do well. May be beans...or Hops!lol, I guess those don't help you if you don't brew beer.

Looks like you're going to need to put some good soil in there. I'd go to your local organic nursery and ask for advice on that.

If there is enough sun then you could grow peppers. "Full sun" in Texas is about 5-6 hours.

Moving thread to garden forum.....

chuk hell said:
Looks like you're going to need to put some good soil in there. I'd go to your local organic nursery and ask for advice on that.

If there is enough sun then you could grow peppers. "Full sun" in Texas is about 5-6 hours.

Moving thread to garden forum.....

Roger on the good soil needed.

I am going to have plenty of peppers so I was trying to think of something else.

Would onions do OK here and do I have time for onions to reach full maturity by this summer? I have never grown onions before.

I'd build a raised bed so you can add good soil and get more light or grow something that gets tall like maybe sunflowers

I rekon a nice passionfruit vine would go pretty well there. Train it along the top and then zig zag it down the fence, maybe have a wire frame with some kind of design that you can follow as the vine grows.

Scorpion, Hot in Hot out

if you're trying to grow something there that'll give you more bang for your buck (produce well) fill it with some good soil & plant something that grows like a vine - cucumbers, certain tomatoes or ? to get the most produce out of a small area.

I like the viny growth idea...passion fruit, cucumbers, maybe a watermelon and/or a cantelope...

that'll work..

IMO watermelon or cantelope wouldnt be the best choice since it'll need to grow out into your yard to have any fruit. you need something that grows upwards or vines you can intertwine into the fence or something. if you can get your hands on some small chunks of chain link fence or concrete wire mesh that'll work good for a place for vines (concrete wire mesh would be the best - bigger openings)

onions will work no problem if you added soil but space is limited so you wont get alot but you'd get some, onions are simple to grow.

I was thinking about making a couple of hills near the corner and use it for ground cover then planting a couple of cucs and passion fruit there.

I have some reinforcement wire they can grow on...

I be careful with putting cucs next to cantalope I did that one year and they were nastey tasting. Tasted like a swet cucumber with a twist to them But i would do the onions and herbs though and melons of some sort : )

chilehunter said:
IMO watermelon or cantelope wouldnt be the best choice since it'll need to grow out into your yard to have any fruit.
Not true at all, they grow great when you give them chicken wire to climb up. Just get smaller ones.

You could get grey stripe sunflowers or tall corn. But those take up alot of space.

i don't know what you mean by 'dead' but beans are great b/c they improve your soil. beans also pretty much grow anywhere, and there's a million varieties (plus fiber is your friend!) you want the pole kind not the bush cuz pole produces continually throughout the season.

GrumpyBear said:
i don't know what you mean by 'dead'

I should have been more clear on the "dead" spot...it is a spot in my yard that I can't get to and I have used it for, as you see, dumping rock, old soil, etc.

Back