• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Recommended herbs to grow?

Aside from the regular stuff like sweet basil, thyme, greek oregano, etc. that can be found at every nursery, looking for less common stuff.

I'm planning to order some plants from http://companionplants.com/catalog, seems like a good company for mail order herbs, and it's only a state away. I am definitely going to order some Culantro and Mexican Oregano (lippia graveolens), and maybe epazote, but shipping is $11 + $.50 per plant, so I thought I would see if there's anything else I might be interested in before I order. I love Mexican and Caribbean food so any kind of herbs used for those would be good.

Cool, I'll check out that site. Everything says propagation by cuttings for Mexican oregano, which is why I'm ordering from a nursery that sells the plants, but seeds are fine fine for others that are easier to start from seed.

hey AB, check out my "non-chili plants" thread, you might wanna see stuff you'd wanna grow yourself. dunno if they're available out in your country but it's worth taking a look at i think. =D

i just got myself some new stuff too. lol.

The ones that can't be grown from seed, are the ones I would focus on, if I was going to spend the money to order plants. Things like Lemon Verbena, French Tarragon, or maybe some of the exotic flavored mints, such as Mojito or Candy Lime. I've also had trouble finding Golden Sage around here, though I have seen the Tricolor locally.

The ones that can't be grown from seed, are the ones I would focus on, if I was going to spend the money to order plants. Things like Lemon Verbena, French Tarragon, or maybe some of the exotic flavored mints, such as Mojito or Candy Lime. I've also had trouble finding Golden Sage around here, though I have seen the Tricolor locally.

Yeah that was the plan. What's the French Tarragon like? I saw that one on that website and considered it. The local nursery has tons of mint plants...Mojito, chocolate, apple, orange, julep, etc. The chocolate really does smell like chocolate, it's crazy. A ton of varieties of basil too. I think I saw golden sage there too, I know they have white sage. Are those used in culinary applications? I did a little reading and IIRC they're a different family of plants than regular sage so I wasn't sure.

At the moment I have lime basil from thelostseedco, which I really love. Thai basil and Vietnamese mint are handy too if your into eastern foods.
French tarragon is delicious too!

EDIT: I just realised French tarragon has already been mentioned! Also, +1 on Lemon Verbeena

Oops, sorry 'bout the multipost. Merge please.

I guess this qualifies as a herb: I am growing wasabi atm, I paid $10au per seedling. Not sure what the deal with procuring their seeds is, but they seem to grow like crazy!

Lucky you, Avon, to have all of those mint varieties available locally! All I've seen around here is peppermint, spearmint, and occasionally the chocolate mint.

French tarragon has a distinct licorice smell and taste. I use it on things like salmon or chicken dishes. It becomes almost shrublike in size by the end of the season though, so give it a good 3' diameter of space, or it will crowd out its neighbors.

I've used the Tricolor sage for culinary purposes, but I mainly grow it for making herb wreaths, since it's so ornamental.

I have a whole bed dedicated to perennial herbs, and I absolutely love being able to walk out my back door, and snip fresh herbs for cooking. The ones I use the most are thyme, oregano, and chives, but I love them all. The annual herbs are in pots on the porch for lack of space anywhere else.

Here's a pic:
Herbbed2010.jpg

Last week I added two new plants to fill in the empty spots up front, Variegated Lemon Thyme and Variegated Oregano.
Okay so the rhubarb plants and garlic aren't herbs, but I didn't have anywhere else to put them, :lol:

Back