• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Recommended soil for growing Bhut's

New to this forum and It's definitely filled with great information. Is there any particular soil mixes that everyone is using and having the best luck growing the Bhut's in? I will be trying to grow indoors under HPS lighting system. Thanks in advance.

I myself like the Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil. Its all organic made with worm castings, bat guano, and a heap of other great organic material. There are a some members here who like Promix. I have not tried it myself. I have had great results with Fox Farm.

I'm using Fox Farms Ocean Forest and throw in about 10%-15% Black Kow compost. Couldnt be happier. Promix is top quality as well. You cant go wrong with either one.. If you're planting alot of plants, you may want to go with Promix to keep costs down.

I'm using Fox Farms Ocean Forest and throw in about 10%-15% Black Kow compost. Couldnt be happier. Promix is top quality as well. You cant go wrong with either one.. If you're planting alot of plants, you may want to go with Promix to keep costs down.

Thanks Ditter and JS, I'm looking into both to see what is available and cost effective. Thanks again.

I prefer cheap and easy! I mix up 50% $2 topsoil, 25% Black Kow, and 25% nature helper (pine bark fines). Then I mix in about 25% OilDri for drainage.

I tried fox farms and pro mix last year and although fox farm did better getting the plant grown faster I had better luck with Pro mix because I was able to control what ferts the plant was getting more. If your growing inside with HPS I suggest going with something like promix and adding some sand and or peralite to the mix. Make sure you use a MH bulb to get the plant to at least 16" and THEN switch over to the HPS if not your plant will not get enough light to grow as HPS bulbs are made for blooming and fruiting plants after already fully grown.

yeah I'm trying to find the Pro Mix but I can't locate it anywhere around here. Although I did find this at our local Hydro shop. "Sunshine Mix #4. This quality SunGro product is recommended where high air capacity and fast drainage are needed: during winter months, with water and salt sensitive crops, or where frequent leaching is required".

Ingredients:
Canadian Sphagnum peat moss
Coarse Perlite
Starter Nutrient Charge (with Gypsum)
Dolomitic Limestone and long-lasting wetting agent

Do you think that this would work too? Similar to Pro Mix?

Is OilDri the same as plain clay cat litter? Or do you buy it special?
OilDri and nonscented kitty litter is basically the same thing, but the difference is the temperature it''s fired at. If it's fired at a high temp it will not break down into mush. I test it out by placing the OilDri in a up of water and let it soak for a few days. If it's still hard, then it's good stuff.

I learned this tip from a Bonsai monk (bonsaimonk.com), seriously. I own a salvage company and years ago Ie sold them a ton of bonsai wire that we received. Being a gardener I tore into them for some tips and tricks.

It gives spectacular results, with ZERO soil compaction. I use enough to where I can't make a ball of dirt if I squeeze it in my fist. The only downside is it drains so well that you need do increase your watering accordingly

OilDri and nonscented kitty litter is basically the same thing, but the difference is the temperature it''s fired at. If it's fired at a high temp it will not break down into mush. I test it out by placing the OilDri in a up of water and let it soak for a few days. If it's still hard, then it's good stuff.

I learned this tip from a Bonsai monk (bonsaimonk.com), seriously. I own a salvage company and years ago Ie sold them a ton of bonsai wire that we received. Being a gardener I tore into them for some tips and tricks.

It gives spectacular results, with ZERO soil compaction. I use enough to where I can't make a ball of dirt if I squeeze it in my fist. The only downside is it drains so well that you need do increase your watering accordingly

Thanks, I'll test the bags of litter I keep on hand for the cats. The clean stuff that is.

I use ProMix for everything. For containers you're always best off using a soiless mix - much less chance of nasties, diseases, problems etc. Lots of guys make their own mix - Peat, Perlite, Vermeculite

When it comes down to it - Don't worry about it too much - there are a ton of guys who have great success with Bags of No Nmae container potting mix, Miracle grow, Garden soil, TOp soil mix etc. Eitherway, you'll have to replenish nutrients over time with some sort of fertilizer or organic matter etc. Hell - check into vermicomposting - setup a worm composting unit in your grow room, your plants will love it.

EDIT : Up above I say you're always best going with soiless . . . that's just an opinion.

I can't find Pro Mix or Fox Farm in my area so I opted to make my own. So far it has worked well. I use a mix of peat, el cheapo top soil, black kow, vermiculite, & perlite. I do mix in garden tone, bone meal and blood meal with each batch of soil that i make. It does drain well, but it gets a little stiff after it dries. I may have to adjust the percentages of peat to top soil for next year to try and get the consistency i want. I also go through the mix and remove the chunks or foreign pieces that I have found in the peat and top soil.

I cant find them in my area either so I went back to Miracle Grow and have had excellent results this year. It seems MG finally listened to customers and took most the twigs and bark out of the mix (that or they ran out). My Bhut's have been very productive in it this year, growing in 3 gallon containers. Good luck with your indoor growing.

Back