Recommended Varieties for Small Pots

Just acquired three smallish (1-3 gallon) pots from my FIL. Figured what the hell, I may as well use them. :)

Any suggestions for varieties that do well in small grow areas and will produce *almost* to their full potential.

Alot of the ornamentals would do fine. I have 7 varieties in small pots and they are producing like crazy in them. I also agree that super chilis would be a great choice.

Charles

Thai Hot Ornamental...

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot5.htm Fifth one up from the bottom.

Thanks, guys! Keep 'em coming. I dig ornamentals, but I don't want to go the 'dumb blond' route. I need to be able to sink my teeth into something worth eating, too. :)

But these are nicer containers than I'm used to, so some edible ornamentals might be awesome.

Thai ornamental sounds interesting, as does the superchili.

The fructescens like the small pots, huh? Interesting.

It's not C. frutescens like small pots, but C. frutescens plants live up to their potential even in a smaller pot. C. chinense for example will get as big as you let them, so do C. pubescens plants. growing Tabascos or Bird's Eyes seems like the best choice to me. lots of hot chiles.

grr. now i have an unhealthy want for going out on a tabasco hunt (i bet i can find seedlings somewhere in brooklyn...)

:)

Well it's still plenty good weather for you yankees to go pepper shopping.

You in Brooklyn? I lived there for awhile when I was working up your way. Williamsburg. Little more than a decade ago. Back when it wasn't quite as 'renewed' as it is now. Good times.

Just acquired three smallish (1-3 gallon) pots from my FIL. Figured what the hell, I may as well use them. :)

Any suggestions for varieties that do well in small grow areas and will produce *almost* to their full potential.

1-3 Gallons isn't that small in my opinion - I have grown a lot of plants in the 1-2 litre span (0.25-0.5 gallons) and still I would get 100-200+ chilis on some varieties like for example Pequin da Ischia and Orange Thai. Another one that would do just fine is Aji Omnicolor (c. baccatum) which is very hot, flavorful and pretty. I have grown Jalapeño varieties in 10 liter containers (2.5-3 gallons) and got 30-50 pods per plant.

Thanks, Donnie. For me, 3-5 gallons is my standard, so the tiny one is small for me. But I love to hear that. I have an Aji Omnicolor going at home already. But now you've got me wanting to explore some smaller baccatums, too. For whatever reason, baccatums have just thrived for me over the past two years (when I first started growing them). I have Criolla Sellas and Kaleidoscopes coming out my ears already this year. Can't wait to see some color and start eating peppers soon.

The super chilis grow awesome in small pots and produce hundreds of pods in them. They also have a awesome flavor and I just pluck one off and cut it up and add to a bowl of red beans. Mmm Mmm good!!!!

Charles

Agree most C. Chinese are out of the question but I do grow my Peruvian White Habs in smaller containers and get good yeilds of cool little white pods that are quite hot and smokey flavored. The small bushy types is what you want for small containers.

Agree most C. Chinese are out of the question but I do grow my Peruvian White Habs in smaller containers and get good yeilds of cool little white pods that are quite hot and smokey flavored. The small bushy types is what you want for small containers.

I love those things! I overwintered a plant and it's already got dozens of pods on it. Hmmm...wonder if there are any other smallish chinenses...

So many choices, so late in the season. :)

Back