• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red carribean Hab x bell pepper?

Pictures coming soon... But I was at the grocery store today and noticed something weird in the pepper bin. It sort of looked like a pumpkin - kind of squat compared to the other red and orange Habs. I picked it up and noticed it has 4 lobes. I figured if nothing else it had a cool pod shape and decided to buy it. I was planning to have dinner with my mother tonight so I stuck it in her fridge... Until a few minutes ago when I cut it open and tasted it. It was a little milder than I would have expected but it had the flavor of a bell pepper. So my question is - can a habanero have the shape of a bell? Or is it likely a hybrid?

When I get home I will upload and link the pictures here. I saved the seeds.

That could be a Mexibell. I grew orange ones a couple of years ago. Like you say, bell pepper flavor with a little heat. They were bigger than habs, though.

You can't trust a grocery store :)

myredpeppers.jpg

Like the one on the far right?

yeah pretty much exactly!

The other pods were different than I'd expect as well. Mexibell would have closer to jalapeno spice no? This was only slightly less than a habanero.

is that the Congo pod Meinchoh?

It was suggested to me that it was a Red Congo, as it was significantly hotter and more fruity than an Orange Habanero..The Red Habanero at the bottom was, too (hotter and fruitier)..I saved seeds and they are growing nicely :)

I got all three out of the same "Orange Habanero" bin - the majority were red in color (I had a field day!)

the pictures are finished uploading now... I took a picture next to a quarter for size comparrison.

This one is not as spicy as my orange habs... but the heat lingers longer. It doesn't really have a fruity taste... more of a bell pepper taste... which is not one I've ever really been fond of - they sometimes have a bad aftertaste, but not this one...

Also other than doing a text link, is there any way to reign in the image sizes @.@

It seems like we have to use the img tag in brackets instead of HTML coding?

red-congo.jpg
red-congo2.jpg
red-congo3.jpg

The only differences I see are the color and the lobes themselves. Mine looked to be a darker red and the lobes on mine weren't as pronounced..size is about the same though...

Quite a nice list you have, too!

My seeds were fresh, so I just put them on the kitchen table, under the ceiling fan, overnight and planted the next day..Took 7 days to sprout..

thanks! I've got 20 on the way from a friend, and then a number of wilds incoming as well... Then the seed swap @,@.

I think I will be up over 100 varieties this year - I'm stoked.

Pepper plants are like pringle... once you pop, you just can't stop haha.

lol! Isn't that the truth! I have over 100 more seeds coming and I'm going to have to save them until next season..

I think I mentioned to you that I rented a tiller... I have enough room for about 400 plants I guess... ~140 in the ground. If I do 3 each of those that remain on my list, I'll have just enough room for everything. if not, I live on acreage, so I can just till some more :D

You can't trust a grocery store :)

myredpeppers.jpg

Like the one on the far right?

Hmm, these look like the ones I got from an international market over here. I thought they tasted great and they were way hotter than a normal habanero. Any idea what they are?

To the left looks like a regular orange hab, red hab/caribbean red on bottom and, I was told, congo trinidad on the right..nice heat and flavor

To the left looks like a regular orange hab, red hab/caribbean red on bottom and, I was told, congo trinidad on the right..nice heat and flavor

hmm, my orange ones come out a bit lighter in color. I wonder if a Congo got mixed with an orange hab. Were those all from the same package you got? The package I got had various colors and looked just like the ones in the pics.

They were all in the "orange habanero" bin at the local supermarket..the only time I've seen red habs/peppers there..the orange one is a bit darker than their usual habs

Back