This is a guide to help detect "newbie" seed scammers.
This is NOT
about ebay or anywhere else, this is about newbies asking for seeds on THP
, post or DM, and how to detect a person that really deserves your kindness from those that are stockpiling seeds.
Chime in and I will move the best ones to this list. A few of mine are below (and I will edit them if anyone wants to word them better or challenge them).
- Most of the time, they are not newbies, but they know how kind people are here. Often times they are stockpiling for trades or even sales.
- They may pretend to just be growing one plant. Recently, a jalapeno and bell pepper was stated. What this does is trigger kindness to get them into "real" peppers stat. A ploy.
- Another is, they often claim they are broke but something can be worked out. That something will never happen.
- They often claim they are buying seeds or willing to trade, when they are still just looking for the kind members and freebies. This may be hard to sniff out but it often is in combo with any of the above.
- If you receive a DM from a newbie asking for seeds it is likely a scam. Why DM? They will often say they were referred by a member, and they will offer to trade or send money, KNOWING some members will give for free out of kindness. PMs also hide their actions from others so they can spam multiple users and not be detected as in a post.
- Look out for accounts that were just created.
- Be wary of pity, even if subtle.
- Please report anyone you feel is suspicious! We can check if they have other accounts, etc.
- Only deal with people you know from the site. If they are a newbie, encourage them to get involved with the community before posting such a request.
I read this thread after I searched every good review for Pepper seed houses first.
Newbie seed scammers. A phrase I had never seen before coming to the Hot pepper
As a newbie once again, I want to share my experience so far on my way back to growing peppers.
It's too bad we have to worry about scammers, however we still have to watch for snakes in the fields & gardens.
I have been doing germination test on Dried Chile's from Mexico to get what I want, so at $10.00 a bag for maybe 10 seeds you will use
that's purdy steep. LOL. So it's not about money that I take free seeds. It's about the adventure that we all go on every spring.
I have some real good friends who have sent me seeds to try & enjoy, I appreciate every one of them for their kindness.
With any luck as we all know, I will be trading & gifting seeds from my own girls next year.
I will end by saying stay aware, however just know their are people like me who really get it, & will not forget your kindness.