• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense red habanero varieties

Okay I recently started a few different varieties of red habanero. Some seeds were saved from pods, some were given or traded with little info, and some were poorly described in original manufacturer packaging. The one I have that is decently labeled just says; Common Red Habanero, Capsicum Baccatum.

I have zero knowledge on the differences between chinense, baccatum, annuum, and so-on. I thought a common Orange Habanero was a Chinense. Is this the only chinense habanero? I have seen some people post that the only "real" habanero was orange. I guess I would say the flavor of an orange slightly differs from a red, but what else is different about them.

Is there a red chinense habenero?

I don't know if there technically is a red habanero but as Willard says all Habaneros are chinenses but not all chinenses are habaneros. But anyway, my point is that the whole Baccatum thing is throwing me off. It should be Chinense.

Okay so I looked at the packaging. It is Seed Savers Exchange. The envelope label says Baccatum. The site does not say anything. It is the 13th down on the right hand side...

http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId=90

I am planning to grow 9 plants of 4 varieties of red habanero. These SSE seeds, Red Savina, Carribean Red, and Trinidad Congo. Most of the varieties I grow this year will be planted in groups. I am thinking of making an Isolation Coldframe. This would enable me(and someone helping me) to isolate multiple plants of each variety I grow so I can obtain pure seed for next year's grow.

I know, I know.... Baccatum.... Habanero....Chinense.?.?.?.? What?

Anyone else care to chime in????

Okay so I looked at the packaging. It is Seed Savers Exchange. The envelope label says Baccatum. The site does not say anything. It is the 13th down on the right hand side...

http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId=90

You mean on the left hand side? 13 down on the right says "Pepper, Healthy" and is an annum. 13 down on the left says "Pepper, habanero-red"

The description says "(Capsicum chinense) (aka Lucifer’s Dream) Caribbean favorite many times hotter than the jalapeño. Three-foot tall plants produce enormous yields of small rippled peppers with a characteristic fruity flavor and aroma. 90-100 days from transplant. SIZZLING HOT."

Sounds like they just messed up the label...definitely looks like a normal red habanero...

I clicked on the link,left side 13 down is red habanero Cat.# 484.

Got the same results as above:

http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=484
Clicked on the picture to see description-C.Chinense.Lucifers Dream...

Maybe the pack is mislabled or whatever-visa versa...

oops. Yes it was the one on the left not the right.

Yesterday they were just pictures and they didn't open a link describing it, Or at least I think. :crazy:

I must have been in a hurry, or maybe it was just the booze!!! :drunk:

Thanks for helping me out. And to think I have looked this up on the SSE website at least a dozen times trying to figure this out.

Yep it is 2011 and I still don't know how to operate a computer!!!!! :eek:

Back